Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was just struggling with this very issue about velocity. My personal opinion is higher velocity improves overall accuracy from the standpoint you just mentioned - flatter trajectory.

I started with 0.50" steel ammo that was heavy and slow, but worked well shooting at 10 yds in my basement range. What I noticed was I would have a vertical component to my groups more than a horizontal. This suggested the trajectory (influenced by velocity) was the main culprit and that I had inconsistencies in my anchor in relations to draw length. Some shots were getting more power and thus flew flatter and vice versa. Average velocity was around 150fps.

I have since switched to 10mm steel ammo with slightly lighter bands and my groups have shrunk by nearly an inch and became more circular than a vertically oriented oval. The 10mm ammo was about half the weight and I gained nearly 50fps, putting me just shy of 200fps. On paper, I had less kinetic energy, but my ability to hit what I was aiming at was improved - all of which was in my basement 10 yd range. Having lighter bands also helps as well, but I do think the main reason was the flatter trajectory reducing the amount of elevation correction needed. Obviously, shooting at unknown distances (like in hunting) is where having flat trajectories really helps, but overall, a faster, flatter flying shot is usually better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes. My point of aim is different with the faster bands. With the slow 0.50" ammo at 150fps, I could noticeably see the ball drop on its way to the catch box. As a result, I had to hold a tiny bit higher and ended up with a smaller gap. The faster 10mm ammo at 200fps pretty much flew straight and I did not have to hold as high to compensate for ammo drop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.