Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some pepper spray for the wife and I since ours had reached its expiration date. The lady behind the counter said “that spray really works” I told her I hope I never have to use it. She tells us that her fiancé tells her he didn’t think it would work that great, and to prove it she could spray him????‍♂???????????? he puts on safety glasses and she sprays him???????? She tells us he throws up, his eyes are tearing up, and she is laughing her butt off???? She tells us he now carries pepper spray????????

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
My first experience with pepper spray when used in a real situation:

A long time ago, when I first started working for the Sheriff's department, my job was to work nights at the jail... Because of my size and Martial Arts experience I was usually assigned to "E" wing (violent and aggressive offenders only) or to Segregation (those who can't get along in E wing, or are beyond the pale violent)...

One night I was running chow, making sure everyone gets the food they're supposed to get... when all the sudden two multiple murderers in E5 got into a pushing and shoving contest getting ready to fight.. they didn't stop and were escalating... so I signaled the picket (control room), pushed the food cart away and had the trustee watch it while I reached for the mace can on my belt..

Much to my surprise, just as I unsnapped the mace pouch... The door to E5 popped open... instantly both inmates charged... It was one of the weirdest things, it was like the whole thing was playing out in slow motion...

The guy on the left cleared the door and started to throw a right hand "little Joe" roundhouse punch, and I'm watching this thing come at me so slowly, thinking is this for real? It's so SLOW.... and a roundhouse punch? I've practiced this move maybe 10 thousand times... moving left to his outside, I grabbed his wrist with my left hand, straightened his arm while swinging my arm over the top of his elbow, applied some torque spinning him and locking the arm at the same time.... this putting me in position to grab the other guy by the wrist hand junction, turning it inside into a simple goose neck lockup... Kicked the door closed with my left foot.... then using my weight, I pinned the first guy against the bottom of the wall where the floor meets it... Second guy, I just locked tighter and used pain compliance to hold him in check.

So I'm holding these two guys on the floor... every time they resist I tighten or redirect make it more painful for them... holding them there waiting for backup...

Hello "Backup" where are you??? Then, as many of you probably already know... the pain compliance lock (inside goose neck) starts to get easier for the guy to take, he starts to get more and more loose, and there's not enough room or angle to turn it into a straight lock without letting guy number 1 get an angle for escape... so just as I'm thinking about kicking guy #2 in the groin really hard... the hall door slams open and back up has arrived!

Larry gets there first, excitedly he pulls his mace... at only about a foot from #two's face, he mashes the button.... BUT he failed to center it first.... so, ssssssss... right in my eyes it went... totally missing his intended target... because Larry was relatively close to me, he got some of the splash and instantly started coughing and gagging...

Three more deputies arrived... two grabbing inmate #2, the other helping me with #1.... by this time all of us were feeling the effects of Larry's spray...

Me I found it difficult to breathe properly, inhaling deeply made me cough and I couldn't see anything at all... I didn't vomit or even gag really... although I took a hit of mace directly in the face.... but of course I have a very high pain threshold and at that time was also full of adrenaline...

So my thoughts on pepper spray are:

Get the combo version that shoots a stream and a funnel shaped spray... get the type of can that has a positive direction for the spray... get spray that's based on oleo resin capsicum, highest heat you can find... make sure it vaporizes quickly (it's the vapor not the liquid that affects the eyes and sinuses)... make sure you buy two bottles... one to test the spray pattern, the evaporation time, and to make sure it's potent enough and the other to keep in a place where it's handy for instant access... Because if you can't get to it when you need it, it's useless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts