Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Trying to find my way.
399 Posts
So in the past year, I have (at my mother's behest) been teaching my 9 year old brother how to shoot slingshots (the idea is that it will help him learn to focus). I put flatbands on an old Barnett diablo, and he's been shooting 3/8" steel with that. He has the mechanics down, and I should probably try going over fundamentals with him one of these days. He really enjoys shooting at clay pigeons propped up on the lawn (I got 5 cases from a family friend).

Anyhoo, I figured he could use a slingshot bag, so I rescued some pieces of one of my favorite pairs of old cargo pants from the shop rag pile. The pieces with pockets. About a half hour with my mom's sewing machine, and I made him a bag using only scraps from the old pants, with paracord for the strap. The strap loops are just wide strips of pant material that I folded in fourths and ironed flat before sewing down the middle. I also rescued two other pockets from the pile, and they will soon be bags as well. I figure this gives him plenty of room for ammo in the front pocket, and that back pocket is probably big enough for the old Barnett.

LB SLB1.jpg LB SLB2.jpg LB SLB3.jpg

It's about 8 1/2" tall by 7 1/2" wide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
Nice.

I love a good repurpose with a purpose.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
That's awesome I love a good upcycle, looks very functoinal as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
Been wanting to do similar for a while - cool to see someone who's done it. I've yet to get a pair that isn't worn through to pull it off.

·
Trying to find my way.
399 Posts
Been wanting to do similar for a while - cool to see someone who's done it. I've yet to get a pair that isn't worn through to pull it off.
Honestly, the other pieces of the pants I have are just the pocket and enough surrounding material to fold over and stitch down. That alone should be enough to make a functional bag. This piece had been sliced out of the leg above and below the pocket, and then cut open, but there was still enough left to fold over and make another pocket out of.

Sometime in the future, I'd like to make a vest out of old cargo pockets.The current cargo vest I have is nice, but the pockets are a tad smaller than I'd hoped, and there are even some false pockets.

Thanks for the kind words y'all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts