Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, I made a slingshot! I'm proud of this one cause it's my first time making a more fancier design.
I used a y-rod I found in a a pile of wood my family used a kindle for our fire pit. After some bark peeling, screw attachments, sanding and the like, it's finished. I wish I could work my tablet to show you the process, but with the lockdown and stuff happening, I'm just glad I still have the fork, tools, and help to make this happen.

Attachments

·
Ray Rowden
2,462 Posts
Nice work on that shooter, alright!

I do worry a little about your hardware. If those are cup hooks, they may have a marginal ability to hold securely against the pull of those tubes.

My personal preference is to mount tubes on natural forks with tabs - leather like a pouch, or a paracord loop. The tab can be fastened to the fork with rubber bands in a wrap 'n tuck, or tightly wound string.

I like the way they shoot, and I don't worry about a piece of steel giving way and flying back at my face at 200 fps!

It's always good to see a new natty!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do worry a little about your hardware. If those are cup hooks, they may have a marginal ability to hold securely against the pull of those tubes.
My personal preference is to mount tubes on natural forks with tabs - leather like a pouch, or a paracord loop. The tab can be fastened to the fork with rubber bands in a wrap 'n tuck, or tightly wound string.
I like the way they shoot, and I don't worry about a piece of steel giving way and flying back at my face at 200 fps!
Thanks for the advice! Although I use that technique for one of my slingshots, I wanted to experiment in a new style. Those are actually hoop screws I used, the forks are pretty thick, about 1 1/4. Fortunately, I have my goggles in case something like that happens

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Although I use that technique for one of my slingshots, I wanted to experiment in a new style. Those are actually hoop screws I used, the forks are pretty thick, about 1 1/4. Fortunately, I have my goggles in case something like that happens
I'm with Kawkan. I would unscrew them and throw some titebond 2 or gorilla glue in the hole. Then put back on your screws and let the epoxy cure so that it's stronger than the wood, and holding on tight. We care about our new shooters staying safe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,723 Posts
I'm with Kawkan. I would unscrew them and throw some titebond 2 or gorilla glue in the hole. Then put back on your screws and let the epoxy cure so that it's stronger than the wood, and holding on tight. We care about our new shooters staying safe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
good advice, I totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts