Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The slingbow is a very popular weapon as it is compact, lightweight, easy to make and can shoot hunting arrows. But it competes with small bows, such as the "Liberty I" by Howard Winthers from www.libertyarchery.com.

This video presents the "Liberty I" bow and compares it to the "Diamond Razor Edge" compound bow and the homemade slingbow (see the How-To on The Slingshot Channel).

The results are quite impressive, the small Liberty I shoots a 400 gr arrow at more than 310 km/h. It outperforms the larger Razor Edge and of course also the slingbow (made with materials for under 10 dollars).

Slow Motion scenes recorded at 1200 frames per second show the behaviour of the bow when shot, it stays amazingly calm.

Jörg

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good review and I feel a little bit sorry for the slingbow because it still seems a good alternative. Maybe you could do a speedtest again after attaching stronger bands?
I can attach stronger bands, but 200 fps is really the max I see, and that is so hard to draw that accuracy suffers.

No recurve or slingbow can seriously compete with the compounds when it comes to power. The let off allows you to use much heavier draws.

Max draw weight:

Slingbow = 40 lbs
Liberty = 70 lbs

In fully drawn condition:

Slingbow = 40 lbs
Liberty = 10,5 lbs

A compound bow with this kind of let off is more like a crossbow really. And my sling-x-bows do compare quite well against the Liberty in terms of power.

Jörg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.