Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
Review of the PS-2 Multiplex Dark Walnut from A+ Slingshots

Firstly I think I should tell you something about myself to put this review in perspective, a sort of disclaimer if you like. I am extremely critical, and pedantic to an almost neurotic extent by nature. I am also brutally honest, if I were a judge on the popular television show X-Factor I would make Simon Cowell appear positively reserved. In other words If Perry had sent me something that I didn't think justified the expense I would have sent it straight back to him, and posted a long review highlighting each fault in agonizing detail. In short - if your product can satisfy me it truly will satisfy anyone!

Now that that's out of the way I think I should describe Perry Adkisson.For those of you who don't know Perry is a Pastor, currently residing and 'spreading the word' in Southern California, he has been happily married to his beautiful wife for over 25 years, and has twowonderful teenage sons - one of whom, an avid body-builder, looks worthy of challenging our own Joerg in a contest of strength!

If I had to describe Perry, I would say that he's an innovative, compassionate and extremely talented and just an all round great guy. If you read his blog entry 'A Challenge for Two Brothers' he describes going out of his was to design a special one off slingshot specially adapted for a child who, otherwise would never have been able to enjoy our wonderful past-time.

Furthermore he has also endeavoured to strengthen his slingshots to a level of safety far past industry standards. (By using quality birch plywoodand reinforcing his hardwood slingshots with steel rods, for more information please consult his website,) all for only a very minor increment in price of his already reasonably valued slingshots.

First I will give you my thoughts on the design. The design of the PS range of slingshots is orientated towards hunters and survivalists, although beunder no illusion it's still an equally competent at killing cans - I'm 100% sure that in the hands of a world-champion like our own Jim Harris, of Performance Catapults, it could achieve accuracy comparable to a quality CO[sup]2[/sup].177 air pistol - although in my hands it's more like a Daisy Red Ryder - a vast improvement from my Black Widow from Barnett, which I will compare in more detail later. It shouldalso be noted that Perry's Ultra Powerbands are capable of achieving kinetic energies of over double that of a UK legal limit air rifle ( 12ft/lb or 16.27j,) yet as a slingshot are not subject to anyform of power regulations.

I believe the qualities viewed as most important by the hunting/survivaldemographic are:

• Kinetic Energy Output
  • Accuracy
  • Compactness
  • Reliability
  • Robustness
Amazingly the PS-2 achieves all of the above without any obvious compromises. You would have thought that,with such a compact design, comfort would have been a compromise but I can say that I found it so comfortable (following the detailed instructions that came with the slingshot,) that it soon became an extension of my arm.

Perry's idiosyncratic design is clearly the result of a long design process and I believe that his slingshots are the epitome of hunting slingshots. It's bar far the best slingshot I've ever had the pleasure of usingand I genuinely believe it to be the very best 'conceal carry' hunting slingshot currently available on the market; Unfortunately I do not posses anaccurate pair of scales with which to weigh it, although a combination of its weight and compact form factor meant I soon forgot that it was in my pocket!

It should be noted that so far it is the only slingshot that I have purchased from one of our Site Vendors so far.

The frame is rendered in high quality, grade 12 birch plywood and is coated in a glossy poly-urethane finish which exaggerates its alluring curves and instils an almost ethereal quality to the grain, resulting in an appearance reminiscent of a Victorian humbug sweet. It's hard to describe with words and has to be seen first-hand to really appreciate - my humble photographic skills and oratory do not do Perry's gorgeous work justice.

I chose Perry's Gold Winnerband-sets and prudently ordered two spare sets; they have a draw weight of approximately16lb and I shot roughly 150 9.5mm ball-bearings before a 3mm tear appeared just next to the pouch attachment, valuing my eyes I reluctantly retired them. I am sure that I would have enjoyed more shots, possibly as many as 250 if had I had been using heavier projectiles. NOTE: I have acquired some ½" steel ball bearings and will count the amount of shots I receive from my final set of Gold Winners using them.

Now on to the shooting, as a generalisation the slingshot is more accurate thanthe shooter, I assumed this to be true, until I shot the PS-2…

To test it I used double sided cello-tape to fix old CDs to old PC component boxes, which were lined with old T-shirts, a surprisingly effective bullet stop I may add. With my Barnett ProDiablo and Black Widow, I would literally struggle to hit this CD from 5 metres. I measured 5 metres with a length of Para-cord I had marked with knots, centred a 9.5mm nickel-plated ballbearing in the lovely soft leather pouch, drew to my cheek and put my chosen projectile straight through the 15mm hole in the CD! I can count the amount of times that's happenedwith any of Barnett's products on the fingers of one hand…

I proceeded to take five more shots, all made nice clean holes in the CD, I could see that I was going to need to shoot from 10 meters to meet anything barely resembling a challenge! From here my accuracy fell noticeably, with only 7/10 shots hitting the CD.

Several hundred shots and two band-sets later, I can consistently hit 3"targets from 7m and 4/5 from 10m, a far cry from the accuracy of someone like Jim Harris, but superior to anything I could ever have envisaged myselfachieving!

In conclusion, I now consider the PS line of slingshots to be anessential item in the inventory of slingshot novices and veterans alike, considering that they start at a mere $25 (€19.42/£16.24) I really don't thinkthat there's an excuse to not have one in your collection today!

PS: For more images please visit my My Gallery.

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
I havent been able to put down my bamboo ps2 the love of my life bought me. I need to order a multiplex ps2 because I like the bamboo one far too much to make it my daily shooter.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Yep. Perry's the man all right. And his slingshots are great on the range and in the field, no question. You'll have a lot of fun with that one. Congrats, Sam!

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The main reason I made this review is that I simply believe Perry isn't receiving the business he so rightly deserves, although I understand that things are picking up for him now which is great!

There are more reviews in this style coming soon, I may also recruit the expertise of my younger brother and a nine year-old I babysit. If you have a product that needs reviewing please send it my way: I WOULD LOVE TO REVIEW IT FOR YOU!

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There were some errors in the text, mainly conjoined words, which I believe occurred because I had written this review in a text editor. Anyway I've corrected them all now so it should be considerably more readable!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The main reason I made this review is that I simply believe Perry isn't receiving the business he so rightly deserves, although I understand that things are picking up for him now which is great!

There are more reviews in this style coming soon, I may also recruit the expertise of my younger brother and a nine year-old I babysit. If you have a product that needs reviewing please send it my way: I WOULD LOVE TO REVIEW IT FOR YOU!
sam, i belive perry is doing great! have you seen the pics of the slingshots he makes by the bunches. i agree he deffinitly deserves it!

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the ps1 starting at $25 there is no reason not to own one of these.
My point exactly - they even come fixed with band-set of your choice worth $5. There is shipping on top of that of course, but even the cost of having one of his slingshots shipping across the North Atlantic Ocean to me was negligible...

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the ps1 starting at $25 there is no reason not to own one of these.
my reason is i dont have 25$ =(
[/quote]
Then get $25!

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I cant be botherd to read all that Sam, did you like the slingshot ha ha , jeff
LOL, that's made my day! Yes I do like it a lot, it's pretty much flawless!

PS: It has claimed a pigeon!

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Perry's work is outstanding, excellent choice for your first custom flip. I have the PS-2 Multiplex in walnut and love it. Great guy to do business with, very helpful.
Philly

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.