Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I think it's time we put together a comprehensive frameless thread. This ones going to be a little different, as I'm hoping to generate interest from new recruits to this style, as well as get some vets to chime in on what they're doing lately & how they're doing it. I'll be working on an article in the coming weeks about various origins and variations on this particular style. My friend Min Mao of SniperSling Slingshots in China has given me a few history lessons which I will share, as well as the benefits and logic surrounding shooting in this manner. Anyone who wants to throw in a bit of info, ask a question, post a video, or share a setup please - don't hesitate. This is a thread for frameless shooters of all skill levels to share ideas and methods and try to learn more and get better at this mystical style.

Let me kick this off by saying I've recently been shooting 6mm steel with a loop of 1632 & a micro fibre pouch. I'm *stunned* how fast, flat and accurate this setup is. Usually I'm shooting a 2040 loop with anything from .36 -.45 lead to 5/8" marbles, so I thought the 1632 would basically be mid range paper puncher or close ranch can popper at best. Not so. This setup has plenty of poke and accuracy for 15 yard cans all day long! Pleasantly surprised, made up two sets, a magnetic lanyard and just ordered 1000 6mm's, lots of fun for dirt cheap!

So chime in, what's your setup when leaving the frames behind!?
eae6ecce7e35d833b60fbc1069c91766.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I gotta give this a try! Hoping people will post some fresh pics or vids on hand positions and techniques.

Does the ring finger style have any benefits over a solo band/tube? I've been leaning towards trying the ring finger first. I had one of the clamp style ones from GZK but I gave it away in a trade. Trader's remorse!

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,574 Posts
I've just started shooting frameless about 3 was ago, thanks to some sling mail from Ray ( Kawkan ) who sent me 3 bareback/frameless rigs.

The one I shoot the most and keep on my wrist daily, is a single loop of 1632 tubing with a microfiber pouch....shooting BB's and 1/4"

The biggest tip I can share that I learned ( after repeated fumbles and the tube rolling off my index finger multiple times ) was to put a good pre stretch or tension on the band BEFORE you place your index finger into place under the upper tube, plus, I find it easier for me to make the frame, if I loop the tubing over my pinky instead of the two middle fingers.

Those were the two single most important things I learned to help me start shooting frameless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was interested in what frameless was about and watched a few utube videos yesterday. Your post got me motivated. Single 117b with bb pouch to get started. Couldn't be simpler. Shot it this morning and it looks like there will be a bit of a learning curve. But what fun.
Found the bands at wallyworld $2.69 for a 4oz bag.

20200707_102623.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
...So if Darrell can do it, then I'll have to give it a try!

Actually, I tried this a while back when there was a challenge presented on a facebook sling group. However, I was trying flat bands and bigger ammo. Managed to get through round 1 of the challenge with only shooting my fingers twice. When the challenge got too difficult, I moved on to other easier stuff like PFS shooting!

Darrell mentioned the 1632 band setup and knew I had some in my stash. Made an 18" band with the lightest and smallest GKZ pouch that I had on hand. It is raining here today, so only plinking out the garage door at stuff that I should not be shooting at! :WasntMe:

But will say, the 1632 setup with 1/4" steel, and 3/8" clay is quite impressive and seems to be accurate (at least at where I was aiming)!

Definitely going to be shooting this a lot more.

Frameless 1632x18.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've just started shooting frameless about 3 was ago, thanks to some sling mail from Ray ( Kawkan ) who sent me 3 bareback/frameless rigs.

The one I shoot the most and keep on my wrist daily, is a single loop of 1632 tubing with a microfiber pouch....shooting BB's and 1/4"

The biggest tip I can share that I learned ( after repeated fumbles and the tube rolling off my index finger multiple times ) was to put a good pre stretch or tension on the band BEFORE you place your index finger into place under the upper tube, plus, I find it easier for me to make the frame, if I loop the tubing over my pinky instead of the two middle fingers.

Those were the two single most important things I learned to help me start shooting frameless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't agree enough about 1632 and light steel & the point you added about creating pre tension on the rig before drawing out for the shot is *crucial* to consistent shooting.

I concur my good sir!

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gotta give this a try! Hoping people will post some fresh pics or vids on hand positions and techniques.

Does the ring finger style have any benefits over a solo band/tube? I've been leaning towards trying the ring finger first. I had one of the clamp style ones from GZK but I gave it away in a trade. Trader's remorse!
There's a guy who goes by Volp on YouTube he's got some great videos and a few instructions on his technique, hes a flatband guy most of the time. Thats something to consider as well flats wrap around the finger and hold position easier than tubes.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts