Slingshots Forum banner

201 - 216 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Y'all ever had one of those days when you don't seem to miss? I had one yesterday (just bragging). I tried something a little different: normally I shoot at a small paper plate about the size of a tea saucer...this time, I put up a big hunk of cardboard and drew a little circle in the middle as the target. I kept hitting a few inches to the right, but my groups were pretty decent (I mean, I've had bigger groups with a rifle and smaller patterns with a shotgun, but I'll take what I can get).

It just allowed me to see where I was actually hitting plus every shot had that addictively satisfying THWACK!

·
Ray Rowden
2,360 Posts
Here's how I'd approach it.

I'd start with an active length of 1/4 of your draw, or 7.75 inches. Add 3 or 4 inches that will be in your frame hand (wrapped or gripped) - lets round up to 11 or 12 inches. Since you need two sides, double that for a 22 to 24 inch tube or strip. I'd go will 24, because it's hard to make latex longer, but easy to shorten. And, starting with a rig that's slightly underpowered is usually preferable to starting with a rig that's overpowered.

About how long do I need to cut my strip for a 31 inch draw? I want to try framless but not waste a bunch of latex to find out.

·
Ray Rowden
2,360 Posts
Well, @J3ff, it sounds like you have the ammo headed toward the target without frame hits. That's good.

Get out a ruler, set up your band like you shoot, and measure the distance from where the band leaves your finger to the pouch. With a 3/4-inch band of .7mm latex, a length 1/4 your draw length should be sending 11mm ammo with authority - even if it's lead.

Ok so I tried 24 and cut it down to 18 but I am barely getting my ammo into the box 11mm I have ss black .7mm I did my strip 3/4 in wide

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
i guess i should have also said i dont shoot with open fingers,shoot more pfs style [just works better for me] and i only go up to 3/8s steels,shooting flats is a bit different than tubes,so not sure what my band length would be,but i will be finding out.11 mm is almost 1/2 inch right? i have shot 1/2 in marbles and they drop a Lot.

Attachments

201 - 216 of 216 Posts