Slingshots Forum banner

161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Been reacquainting myself with an old friend, been using 3050 for a few months and place an order for 9.5mm with Balls of Steel(great service). But the weather has take a turn for the worst, luck if it’s been above freezing. So been using orange dub dub, I had forgot how well it sends 9.5mm steel. So at the minute it’s my go to setup for 9.5 mm steel and also 10mm lead. Also been trying 5070 for .44cal leads and .51cal leads early days but been impressed

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I made a 2040 set a month or so back with SureShot Pouches, one was a Rockstar and the other was a #73 SuperPouch. I've shot everything from 1/4" up to 1" rocks out of it and honestly, it just didn't have enough power to throw the rocks properly. So the other day, I pulled off the Rockstar and put on a little white pouch that works just fine with bb's on up to small rocks on the #73 pouch side. I like the double pouch set up and I simply put my pinky completely into the lower pouch for support- while bringing the tubes up the palm of my hand, holding it tight with my next 2 fingers up my palm. (Basically, I'm making a fist around the tubes.) Or I can wrap the tubes around my ring finger, etc... if I want more power or shorter bands. My frame is made up at the base of my thumb nail and between the 2 knuckles of my index finger. I watched the videos again tonight and I haven't seen anyone else using this method, so...

20210108_181222.jpg

This one is 13" overall which allows me to shoot either 3/4 butterfly or just choke up on the bands with my 3 free fingers for any other anchor point.

20210110_171528.jpg

Today, I made these other 2 to give me a full range of options. The orange is 1632, the green is the 2040 and the amber is 3050. I figured that these would do for a start and the 3050 has put the Rockstar back in action. For me, I'm shooting out in the desert right now with no catch box until our house closes, so I mostly shoot rocks and clay, but I do have a wide assortment of ammo with me at all times.

20210110_171651.jpg

The orange is for bb's up to 1/4" in the SuperSure Magnetic bb pouch and then just bb's fit in the other side. I put the black Chinese pouch on to try out the Hai Style of shooting... Hopefully not through my thumb :headbang:

I didn't have time tonight to put them all through their paces but the Rockstar works just fine with the 3050 :)
Has anyone tried shooting double tubes or double bands? I'm thinking that I could run doubles through 1/4" paracord easy enough...

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hit my hand pretty good shooting frameless. I still shot after the fact. Really need to figure out how to hold the bands the proper way next time around though
Even when I look at lots of videos I seem to either get confused or the ergonomics of my hand just don't work for it

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
its a tricky set up,and a couple different finger/fork variations,but it is an interesting form and very satisfying once you figure out what works for you,for 3/8s and smaller i shoot closed fingers/over the knuckles [pfs?] for larger ammo and clays i shoot with fingers outstretched [TTF?] only advice -start small,in case of fork hits,then as you get more comforatable with it move up.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I hit my hand pretty good shooting frameless. I still shot after the fact. Really need to figure out how to hold the bands the proper way next time around though
Even when I look at lots of videos I seem to either get confused or the ergonomics of my hand just don't work for it
Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Practice with rolled up foil first just to get the mechanics down. Once you are confident and get that to clear you can move up to rubber, then, clay, then steel.

It's quite satisfying once you get the hang of it.

You can do it! It's just like this:

Welcome to the program and Sling-On!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't used a slingshot in 35 years and, from what I've learned on these forums, I wasn't even doing it right back then. I watched a video on frameless shooting and got interested: my wife, whenever I develop an interest in something, gets on the web and starts ordering me stuff. Sounds great, I know, but her method is somewhat devious: she waits until I'm good enough at something to show her the basics, then she (very rapidly) gets better than me.

Anyway, about a week ago, I started fooling around with frameless shooting a bit, shooting BB's and 3/8 clay balls in the back yard. I had a "frame hit" on the tip of my finger (Oh, man! that really lets you know it happened, doesn't it?) and switched my grip a bit: I've got big, dumb, chubby fingers (they've got all the fat and brains of a bratwurst). Rather than wrap the loop around my ring and pinkie, I've been using my wrist as an anchor and have been opening my finger and thumb fully with the band running over the tips. It seems to be working out for me.

I've been alternating between 1632 and a variety of flat bands and have been shooting sideways. I've just about got my windage dialed in but my elevation needs a little work. I often hit high but hit more often than not. The brand new callous I'm developing seems to indicate that I'm holding my pouch correctly and not getting the finger bump.

So, (very) long story short, thanks for all the information and shared experience. It's been helpful.

Also, has anybody ever noticed that wildlife only appears downrange when you're trying to target shoot? Every time, five minutes after I start getting into the groove, the backyard starts looking like a menagerie. Yesterday, I had squirrels, starling, dove, and I think a cute little raccoon popped up and gave me the finger. Somehow they know that the only thing I'll kill without eating is yard gnomes.

·
Ray Rowden
2,360 Posts
I haven't used a slingshot in 35 years and, from what I've learned on these forums, I wasn't even doing it right back then. I watched a video on frameless shooting and got interested: my wife, whenever I develop an interest in something, gets on the web and starts ordering me stuff. Sounds great, I know, but her method is somewhat devious: she waits until I'm good enough at something to show her the basics, then she (very rapidly) gets better than me.

Anyway, about a week ago, I started fooling around with frameless shooting a bit, shooting BB's and 3/8 clay balls in the back yard. I had a "frame hit" on the tip of my finger (Oh, man! that really lets you know it happened, doesn't it?) and switched my grip a bit: I've got big, dumb, chubby fingers (they've got all the fat and brains of a bratwurst). Rather than wrap the loop around my ring and pinkie, I've been using my wrist as an anchor and have been opening my finger and thumb fully with the band running over the tips. It seems to be working out for me.

I've been alternating between 1632 and a variety of flat bands and have been shooting sideways. I've just about got my windage dialed in but my elevation needs a little work. I often hit high but hit more often than not. The brand new callous I'm developing seems to indicate that I'm holding my pouch correctly and not getting the finger bump.

So, (very) long story short, thanks for all the information and shared experience. It's been helpful.

Also, has anybody ever noticed that wildlife only appears downrange when you're trying to target shoot? Every time, five minutes after I start getting into the groove, the backyard starts looking like a menagerie. Yesterday, I had squirrels, starling, dove, and I think a cute little raccoon popped up and gave me the finger. Somehow they know that the only thing I'll kill without eating is yard gnomes.
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you are getting things sorted out.

My frameless reference point is also lower than my top. That works fine, as long as it's repeatable!

·
Registered
9 Posts

Holy Moly, y'all know how to make a guy feel welcome. I've been lurking around here for a bit, so most of you are like legends to me.

First, a clarification: I do not eat bratwurst made of brains (as far as I know).

Another clarification: I don't refuse to eat yard gnomes for moral or dietary reasons. I just haven't found a recipe I like.

Yet another clarification: Yes, I jumped into frameless shooting first because it matches my general, "if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball" philosophy.

I like the idea of frameless shooting because it means I can always have a slingshot on my person to practice with (without looking like Dennis the Menace). If there were a way to go even more minimalistic with it, I'd do it. I think the skills transfer. I got a "big boy" slingshot, too: an Ocularis, and shooting that thing is a breeze (comparatively).

I know that the key to accuracy is practice, but any hints or fast tracks to getting out to 20 and 30 yards are welcome (no, I won't take steroids).

Oh, yeah! Almost forgot. I made my first frameless with 550 cord and 1632. It is awful. I made it too short. If I pull it to full extension, it looks thin as dental floss and when I wore it on my wrist, my hand went numb. Oh, well...I'm sure the fiftieth one I make will be better.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So...a few bits of strangeness occurred while I was practicing yesterday.

I was shooting BB's, using a 1632 frameless rig, and I missed...somehow the BB landed softly on top of my head. It wasn't a ricochet. Has anybody else had this happen?

Then, on the next shot, I DID have a ricochet which hit me, gently, in my gentleman's region. Why did nobody warn me that this was a possibility? The last thing a man my age wants to do is explain, to an ER nurse, how I shot myself in the plums with a slingshot.

Then...IT FREAKING SNOWED...in Cincinnati...in APRIL.

Also, I had my very first broken band. Is there a Merit Badge for that?

161 - 180 of 216 Posts