Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was robbed Saturday in the middle of the day! I got up early Saturday and moved some stuff so I could get to all my tools. I laid out the wood that I was going to do some work on and obviously didn't notice or pay attention to people walking or driving by. We had taken the dogs and the kids out for a walk in the Red Woods 20 miles away, and when we got home the garage door was open and most of my tool were missing. They even got my lattice wood and African Mahogany! They took my band saw, table saw, rotary oscillating drum sander, my drill press, and my router. They didn't get the stuff I had bolted down to a big bench and they didn't take my Motorcycle, thank goodness. I'm still trying to make a list of all the stuff they took! None of my neighbors saw a thing!

I used to like to work with the garage door open, but never again! I'm just soooo upset!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I was robbed Saturday in the middle of the day! I got up early Saturday and moved some stuff so I could get to all my tools. I laid out the wood that I was going to do some work on and obviously didn't notice or pay attention to people walking or driving by. We had taken the dogs and the kids out for a walk in the Red Woods 20 miles away, and when we got home the garage door was open and most of my tool were missing. They even got my lattice wood and African Mahogany! They took my band saw, table saw, rotary oscillating drum sander, my drill press, and my router. They didn't get the stuff I had bolted down to a big bench and they didn't take my Motorcycle, thank goodness. I'm still trying to make a list of all the stuff they took! None of my neighbors saw a thing!

I used to like to work with the garage door open, but never again! I'm just soooo upset!
Sorry to here about that, it sounds like they never had a vehicle or they would have taken it all. I would check your neighborhood for neighbors that could me stoner junkies or teenagers. I am not pointing the finger at anyone but it seems that whoever took your stuff knows you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we have a description of the guys! A neighbor across the street and down a few houses came over and told my wife what the guys looked like and what they were driving. He saw the police car and assumed we were robbed, but didn't want to come over while the police were around. He's an old Vietnamese gentlemen and barley speaks English. He said it was a boy in his late teens and a older man in his 50's in a cruddy green minivan. No plate #. My wife is calling the police now. I'm checking Craigslist, Ebay, the classifieds...

What really stinks is that I just got the Rigid rotary drum sander 3 days ago!

Thanks for the support guys!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The police told my wife that is sounds like some homeless guys that they have been getting calls on. The problem is this is a big city. They said that they will check houses out when they go through you garbage to get your recycling (a whole other problem!). They sit on the stuff for a few weeks and then sell it at the Flea Market. We have two that are open 4+ days a week. I can't believe they didn't take my motorcycle, it had the keys in it! I won't do that again!

Oh, they got in by hooking the manual disconnect for my automatic garage door opener. It's really easy to do with a metal rod with a hook on it. They push it through the top of the door gap and hook the rope above the knob. The Police said to remove the plastic knob and leave the rope so it can't be hooked. Lessen learned!

Man I just feel violated! My wife and kids are scared now!

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Oh man, that sucks..

Best security system I ever bought for my car was a simple blinking red LED for the dashboard, cost me all of $5 for the bulb and wires, and a handy friend to install it. You could do the same thing for your garage and/or front door (right below the peep hole) ... people see the red LED and assume it's a high-tech security system, when in fact it's a visual bluff that simply encourages would be thieves to move on to easier targets. I never tell my friends it's fake either - nobody, except my wife, and the friend who installed it, knows that my car alarm is fake.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Wow snake!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about this!!! I'm a bit concerned about mine as well. We have had quite a bit of theft in the area and from us in the past. Prayin' for you and your family!!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Snake, I truly feel for you! I was home and some scum made off with 3 tools worth $800.00 out of my garage. One a good compressor, turned on 4 times.

I thought that was infuriating.

I immediately purchased a Reporter alert system. Now I know when someone is in my driveway and then next to the house.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many thanks to everyone here.

Well now I'm really mad! My wife called me and asked if I had checked the beer I was brewing. They also removed the air check on the top. Even if it was still good, I wouldn't know if they had put something inside. They also took my laundry detergent.

Things learned:
Insure everything!
Dead bolt side garage door and padlock garage door! I think I may make a dead bolt that I can use a solenoid and a remote to activate.

Get a loud alarm.

Looks like I'm getting new tools this spring.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Darb
Now everyone knows your car alarm is a fake.
I'm not losing sleep. Although a gentleman to the core, I'm not entirely adverse to the idea of dancing a jig on the grave of any would-be thief who's too stupid or ill-mannered (possibly both) to go on living.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Snake. Thieving during work hours seems to be the way thieves roll these days. Happen to a co-worker just a few weeks after he moved into his new home. They pull up, kick the door in when the coast is clear, then just act normal while carrying out stuff. Anyone that may drive by, doesn't think any different. I hope you are successful at regaining your loss.

·
Slingshots Canada
708 Posts
That is a massive bummer! I dont think the locals around here have the balls to do such a thing but regardless we have a cheap webcam set up on our driveway that is motion detected ($20 webcam and some software) which records and saves any video, This is not so much for theft issues but because we like to know when someone pulls in our driveway for our business

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.