Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a superstitious person. I don't walk under ladders, break mirrors, or open umbrellas indoors as a matter of safety and practicality, not due to some myth or legend. :ph34r: Sure, I'll occasionally knock on wood, or throw some salt over my shoulder, but that's mainly to put others at ease- such is my compassionate nature.

I shoot better wearing my green boonie hat. I shoot better after pre-pulling the bands eleven times, not ten, not twelve- eleven. I shoot better when I take thirty-five 7/16" BBs with me on my walks, not 34, not 36- 35. If, after banding, the words "Super Sure" are upside down on the pouch, the entire slingshot should be burned in a small fire, containing alder & spruce, and witnessed by at least three individuals, who must be holding hands and facing northeast.

These are FACTS, not superstitions. My wife disagrees. :shakehead:

What's your take?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well, yesterday I shot three in a row at a 3 cm. spinner from 12 meters away and that can happen ONLY IF MY BODY WAS USURPED BY A MISTERIOUS SPIRIT.

Go figure your childish superstitions, (ups... sorry, "proved cientific facts").

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
I used to insist on finishing a shooting session with a hit, because it just felt right, until I realised that I was effectively rewarding repeated misses and making the end of a session a rushed chore.

Other rituals are a matter of consistency and safety and good sense, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
625 Posts
ONLY IF MY BODY WAS USURPED BY A MISTERIOUS SPIRIT.

You know Ordo I hate when that happens but it does make for a nice break in the day.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
It's all in your head...if you believe it works chances are it will work. I have one old rifle which I bought when I was in college, 60 years ago. It is a 1891 Argintine Mauser, 7.65mm. I paid $19.95 for her. Right out of the store I shot a five shot 1.5 inch group with military iron sights at an honest 100 yards. From that day on I believed I could not miss with that rifle. One shot kills on wild boar, deer, and a bear convinced me I could not miss with that gun. After I graduated and started making money I added a number of more expensive rifles to my arsenal, many with scope sights but, I never "believed" they would shoot as well as my old Mauser....and they didn't. Many years later I was out with a friend shooting at water filled plastic bottles at about 300 yards using fancy high powered rifles with high powered scopes. At the end of our shooting session I told him about my old Mauser which I had brought along. There was one bottle left on the hillside and I, half as a joke, took a quick off hand shot, blowing up the bottle. I put the old rifle back in it's case. THE LEGION CONTINUES....al least in my mind.

Thanks for reading my story.

GP

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
i shoot with instinctive style. I found i shoot more exact with first shots of the day.
No joking? I do exactly that as well.
@ Hulla... s'all true
@Grandpa Pete, thank you sharing. I love those old Mausers. Is it bolt action? I could look it up... but I am testing my memory.
Anyway itnis clear that you have a magic Mauser and they only made 35 of them.
Coindence? Nope.

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
I'm not a superstitious person. I don't walk under ladders, break mirrors, or open umbrellas indoors as a matter of safety and practicality, not due to some myth or legend. :ph34r: Sure, I'll occasionally knock on wood, or throw some salt over my shoulder, but that's mainly to put others at ease- such is my compassionate nature.

I shoot better wearing my green boonie hat. I shoot better after pre-pulling the bands eleven times, not ten, not twelve- eleven. I shoot better when I take thirty-five 7/16" BBs with me on my walks, not 34, not 36- 35. If, after banding, the words "Super Sure" are upside down on the pouch, the entire slingshot should be burned in a small fire, containing alder & spruce, and witnessed by at least three individuals, who must be holding hands and facing northeast.

These are FACTS, not superstitions. My wife disagrees. :shakehead:

What's your take?
What you haven't yet experienced is that red-colored forks will greatly improve speed and accuracy, will last longer, and will have a high resale value.

Reactions: Hulla Baloo

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad you mentioned color Thwack. I use duct tape on the concrete floor in my shop to mark my 33 ft. line. You can get it in virtually any color now. If I match the color of that tape to the color of the target I'm prosecuting, my hit percentage goes up 16%. Again, facts...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts