Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dgui has made many videos showing bareback shooting with the bands draped over the two larger segments of the index finger and no slingshot frame, and the pouch turned 1/4 turn and pointed slightly up before release. A variation on this uses a plumbing L-joint or 45 degree elbow joint made of copper or CPVC to protect the index finger from a stray ammo hit. I found that the most comfortable choice was a copper L-joint that is 3/4" diameter on each end. It seems roomier than the CPVC, and the L allows closing the fist fully compared to the 45 degree elbow. This approach could be called "saddleback" shooting since there's an extra layer of protection against the bare flesh.

The downside of this is that it's not as comfortable or as easy to set up as the bareback style. It helps to put some padding such as some strips of leather or cork inside the L-joint in front of the middle segment of the index finger; the knuckle of the index finger inside the bend of the copper L-joint takes the most abuse. I shot 80 times with 1/2" steel balls and didn't have a single hit on the copper that I could feel. It may be just my poor shooting technique but I noticed the ammo seemed to fly high instead of on target when released. Not sure why. But the ammo has plenty of power from the Tex-Shooter Express bands in the picture. For those who want to try out the bareback style but want some extra protection for the finger, this might be useful to try out.

Attachments

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
A novel Idea for a beginning bareback shooter. -- Thanks for mentioning my bands! -- Tex

· Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, leather would also work. The CPVC and copper are rigid, and there may be some use to that. Having tried it, I prefer bareback; it's more comfortable, and dgui has shown bareback works quite well if you turn the pouch and point it slightly up. But if you were shooting some irregular shaped object (like a stone) it might be useful to have protection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.