Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my spectraply arrvied today, and I just finished making and sanding the slingshot, I got blue/yellow spectraply, and the dust on it turned green, and it's pressed into the wood. How do I remove the dust from the wood?, and I want to finish it to a high gloss, what would be the best finished to use? Thank you! And don't worry, pics will be up once it's finished!

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Tru Oil for low skill requirements and my favorite at the moment CA finish more difficult to perfect.

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
I would use compressed air to blow the dust out of the wood. If you don't have compressed air or is doesn't do the job, try and wash it out with rubbing alcohol and a fine brush. I don't know if spectraply is waterproof, so can't comment on the safety of washing with water.

My high gloss finish of choice would be aerosol clear gloss lacquer and the appropriate selection of sanding/polishing media. A CA finish is a good alternative.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would try solvent - maybe mineral spirits to start, if that doesn't work, try lacquer thinner - that should get rid of the dust that you're having a hard time removing

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wet sanding the frame should remove the green tint/stain from the spectraply.
I just started using spectraply myself, and wet sanding doesn't seem to be an option. The spectra soaks up the water. The spectra was epoxied to g10 and the swelling pushed everything into slight U shape.
Semi-related, it breaks and chips on the edges. I should have gotten the harder version they sell. I really miss dymondwood. I have a couple of scales of it left from the hoard I had years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts