Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a real interesting fork that I cut in the high desert of SE Idaho. It's sagebrush and has a unique twisty rope like texture. There is a shooter in there wanting to be set free, but I'm not sure that I am the man for the job. If someone was interested in finishing it, I would be willing to give it to them just to see the finished fork. If you would like I could try to photo it and explain what I've done to preserve it.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Hahaha...A maker bidding war!

I ain't got the gumption nor skill%talenr of the above...

I still want to see those pics!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Food Wood Insect Mesh Wire fencing
Mesh Wood Pet supply Wire fencing Liver
[attachment=271338:0917190916.jpg

Hey guys.. I'm a dreamer and schemer but a photo taker. Tried to get a lot of light shadows kinda ruin the effect. But if you click on a photo, then enlarge...maybe. How do you guys take such beautiful pics of your stuff?.

AW man, things pics turned out poo poo ca ca!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Wood Plant Trunk Twig Tree
Human body Wood Plant Gesture Artifact
Wood Sculpture Art Statue Staple food

Mars, you are a pain. These are better but no cigar.

When I first started playing with this, it was really scabby. So I gently took a wire brush to it to get all the loose stuff off. then I gave it a light coat of 1/3BLO..1/3Turp...1/3 varnish. This stabilized the exterior, but not so much that it could be sanded or carved. Once again the pics don't show you the twisty grain. But I aint taking more pictures. What a pain. But then again, more I do it the better it feels.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looks like a pleasurable challenge!!

One hopefully helpful hint about photos that's worked for me for MANY years....IF you can try taking photos on a cloudy day you'll get good light and a lot more detail throughout the target/slingshot, etc. and it helps eliminate shadow problems - Also using a properly placed white board or boards, piece of paper, etc. around and out of frame can help lessen the shadows if that's a problem - Because I used to be in a business where photos were very important I always have on hand a piece of white, black and medium gray cloth for backgrounds...old sheets, t-shirts, towels, etc. - You can pick pieces fairly cheap at any fabric/craft store etc. - When choosing something other than fabric it also helps to have that background item on the dull or satin side so as not to cause more reflections, hot spots and shadow problems - I see a LOT of photos where the background disrupts the main subject or slingshot that is the main purpose of the photo - Just one more.... it usually helps to have something in the photo that can give the viewer an idea of the actual size of slingshot, etc. of main object of the photo such as a ruler, coins, $100.00 bills, etc. - One man's to big is another persons to small - Hope some of these help - Feel free to ignore my rambling :hmm:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts