Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello All,

I am brand new to the forums and this is my first post.

Here are pictures of 2 of my recent builds.

These frames are not the prettiest around , but they were designed to be users , not display models.

The wooden handled one was made to accept any style of band and was designed to achieve this very easily and quickly , flat steel bar stock was used to ensure strength and durability , it works quite well.

The unbanded one is also made from flat bar stock , I have not decided on how to band it yet , it is also not completely finished.

I would appreciate comments on this one , as I am unsure if it is too small.

Thanks for looking.

IMG-0167.jpg

IMG-0161.jpg

IMG-0163.jpg

IMG-0164.jpg

IMG-0166.jpg

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Definitely some tuff looking slings there. Nice job. On the smaller one, I would use those holes you have in the forks to bolt on some leather tabs and shoot it ott. If you use eye bolts like the big one and shoot ttf you might have some issues with the small fork gap. But if you go the tab route you'll be golden.

Nice post!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello All,

Thanks for all the feedback and welcome , it is appreciated.

Island made , thanks for the idea of the tabs , I will be rebanding the large slinshot soon as the tabs are a much better idea than the eyebolts , are far neater , and will also allow the use of different bands , I will also try to improve the "looks" of the frames :).

The airgun pellet tin was only used to give some idea of scale , I actually use much more substantial ammo in my slingshots.

I will post new pictures when done , this may take a while as I have more pressing things to do at the moment.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Welcome! Praise is easier but my honest comments are:

The narrower one seems to have only about 25 mm fork gap. I might use this with clay ammo up to about 11 mm diameter but I would still get some (probably harmless) fork hits. I would not use steel ammo because a steel-on-steel fork hit can cause a high speed ricochet in almost any direction, even straight back. Others will tell you that they use PFS (Pickle Fork Shooters) with very narrow (or no) fork gap but that is not for me.

The wider one - about 50 mm fork gap - as you already have a screw hole, a clamp plate on the back (i.e. on the side away from you, when you are shooting) would clamp the rubber neatly and enable quick band changes. A clamp plate can clamp the rubber directly without using tabs, provided that the rubber is not pulled back over square or sharp edges.

Re the looped rubber bands, I have no experience of these but single flatbands of something like Precise 0.5-0.7 mm rubber, cut to various tapers to match ammo weight, are very popular. I just use Precise 0.7 mm and that's it.

As I said, praise is easier, but for my early posts on this forum, I would have welcomed more honest comment and less praise.

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello All,

OK the small one is finished , all gussied up and ready to go :).

I have set it up to throw BB's , but I don't know if I like shooting BB's , they are so small and finicky to shoot.

I think that this frame will work with heavier bands and larger ammo , experimentation is called for.

The other frame is being worked on , it will be ready when it is ready :).

IMG-0173.jpg

IMG-0174.jpg

IMG-0175.jpg

Cheers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts