• Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

Short version

This is my personal frame. Named Choker and made of Peraluman aluminum on a 5 axis CNC. Blasted and black anodized. 104mm width, 24 mil tips. Comb shape MJF, M4 double bolt clamps with optional single bolt mount.

Bicycle part Font Household hardware Tableware Metal

Bicycle part Font Metal Automotive design Composite material

Gun accessory Fashion accessory Metal Titanium Gun barrel

Gesture Finger Thumb Wrist Font

Hand tool Bicycle part Tool Wood Auto part

Long version

After the 2018 Wolrd Cup I was excited about Spanish frames just as everybody. Their designs are great and looking wonderful, but I like to aim faster and was looking for a more versatile frame that allows shooting many elastics, styles and draw lengths. So, Spanish style was not for me, but I learned a lot about my posture, started experimenting with new anchors (not my first time, using too many styles, anchors, bands, ammo is kind of an occupational hazard when designing slingshots for others with different preferences). What I have learned was right on, but my index finger of my release hand started to being numb. After spending a year on cleaning things up in my style (for competition) I was back on day one. Started holding pouch differently and pinching in front of ammo. Also draw length changed. My frame fits for my needs, but let me summarize it:

I wanted to make a frame that could be replicated, No handmade, CNC or 3D print only. If I loose it in competition or having an issue I want endless backup frames. In competition I use two. If band fails, I switch instantly.

Wanted no special sight. I use too many band types, cuts, pouches, ammo. Even if it is a target shooter, I like to keep it easy. This comb reference is good for me. Although I have a sight that is not shown, since I am not using it frequently.

Forktips are wide for a reason. You can slide and tie your bands (clip) to be off-center. Voila, that is an adjustment.

Clips are super small. That is a price payed to be able to make it so compact.

The frame may be considered wide nowadays. I was even shooting a 127mm version of this, but my Slug natural is also 104mm and the anchor I use for 104mm is comfy enough. I was pretty accurate with the 127mm version, but stress was throwing off my shots time after time. No reason to stick something that works like a charm when everything is fine, but falls short when days are off. Competition is always a challenge.

The frame had quite a few versions. Started as a redo of my Slant and I have also shot the Torque upside down for some time. If you ask me how it feels to shoot the Choker it is like having a mirrored Torque frame in your hands. MXred made early knife handle frames I can recall. Many others did similar. I have just seen Resorteras Bat, my friend Raúl made something like this one years ago.

The name Choker comes from the Spanish slingshot frame I made for testing. That wide vertical grip was like a Darth Vader grip. Fearsome and effective.

Hope you like it! Cheers,

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
WOW :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: WOW

Haven't seen any frames lately (well...Island Made have one or two :thumbsup: ), that I would want to shoot with and now I see this.

Could be nice to have one :thumbsup:
Ditto - any plans for production?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beautiful frame! And love the design! As a machinist I can appreciate the work that goes into it, my heart and soul bleeds manual machining as I'm old school, but it's machined none the less lol! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you very-very much! Love your works and attitude. I am a by hand everything or max out tech kind of person. Appreciate your skills a lot!

That is lovely. I love the low fork height and wide tips also. I guess form follows function, once again!
Thanks for stopping by! Your band size know-how post is one of my favorite this year!

Short version... Nice!

Long version... Very, very nice!
Thank you, thaaaaaank yoooou! :) Really, glad you like this sweetness.

Absolutely stunning and extremely ingenious!
Thank you sir!

WOW WOW

Haven't seen any frames lately (well...Island Made have one or two), that I would want to shoot with and now I see this.

I had a bet you will like it my friend! Planned no sales and shares, as it is mostly for my needs, but "could be nice to have" your opinion about the performance of this frame. :bowdown: :wave:

WOW WOW

Haven't seen any frames lately (well...Island Made have one or two ), that I would want to shoot with and now I see this.

Ditto - any plans for production?
Hello there, not planned to make too many, being busy with work, but will see if it is possible. Thanks!

Awesome looking frame! Great work!
Thank you very much! Good to see you around!

Tremo - thats insane.

I like frames you choke right up on. N doubt thats a great shooter
:) Thanks Matt! Happy to know you like the effort. Hope it adds to the SOTM thread!

Very nice ergonomic design & finished product, I'll need tae google 'Peraluman aluminum' never heard o' this before!

:thumbsup:
Thanks a ton Trap1! :)

Peraluman is a mid strength alu with great impact and corrosion resistance. Food, ships, etc. I like aircraft alloys too, but having sweaty hands. Seen to many aluminum bicycle rims eaten up in the winter.

Thank you all :wave:

Mark

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
WOW WOW

Haven't seen any frames lately (well...Island Made have one or two), that I would want to shoot with and now I see this.

I had a bet you will like it my friend! Planned no sales and shares, as it is mostly for my needs, but "could be nice to have" your opinion about the performance of this frame. :bowdown: :wave:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It would be an honour to tell my opinion :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.