Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I shave with a straight razor and have been doing so for 2 years now! I am geting the hang of it, and the trick is to keep the knife SUPER SHARP!
This is so smoth and nice!!! But it has to be SHARP!
I am now loking for some old vintage safety razors! There are loads of brands, blades and shaving creams!
If any one has a problem with paying alot of dollars I would give straight razor or safety razor shaving a chance! With a bit of practising and some patience you can get a better shave, and have more money over for slingshots=)
I am now paying around 20 dollars a year on shaving stuff!

So does any one else do this?

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Hey ... I shave old school!!! I have tried straight razors and have a few but I can't keep em sharp enough. I usually use several 1950-60 vintage Gillette razors now mostly, badger hair brush and soft or cake soaps, alum bar, and aftershaves. Here is some pics of my "shaving den" as those with the obsession call it. I have a few collectables but not much really. My grandfather was a barber in the 1930's so I guess it's in the blood. It was made by me with reclaimed oak boards that came out of a church.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Now that looks like some nice razors!
Looks like a pair of gillette razors! I am searching the Ebay for just the right one now=) I use a honing stone 1000+3000 grit stone and then 100 pases on the strop wich is just oild up! I find that that realy givs it a fine edge, but I am shure if I hade a higher grit stone maby 6000 it would be even smother!

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I use to make a bid deal out of shaving. Oh my, shaving was a big even. First came the announcement then the big event was on. I have tried several cord cordless shavers some high priced like tripple cutters twin cutting blades all styles types and brands and I finally tried a battery operated Braun for 12 dollars and have been shaving with this one twice a day for the past 2 years but I bought two sets of rechargable batteries. The foil and the cutter are still good and it shaves better than the 100 dollar shavers. Now the price has gone to 18 dollars at walgreens it might be time to buy a spare. No blades for me any more.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
You guys are making me jealous here - I still don't have any facial hair!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I used to shave with a straight razor, I found the quality of steel was very important, but I have had two wet shaves in the last five years, both for an ex-girlfriend; now I use head trimmers and shave my face at the same time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
LOL! I didn't have to shave until I was nearly 30! I don't think I went into puberty until then
. When I met my wife I looked like one of those hairless cats, now I have to shave my back! My wife calls it false advertising!

My 12 year old daughter just placed 2nd and 3rd at Nationals for swimming. Before she competed I told her if she metaled, I would shave my head. I really didn't thing she could do it. I shaved my head smooth on Saturday and her teem signed my head. It's embarrassing, but I'll post some pictures.

Oh, my point of bringing it up is that I used a brand new Gillette Pro Glide power razor to shave my head. I didn't like it one bit! My head wasn't smooth and it stuck like Velcro to everything.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Oh, my point of bringing it up is that I used a brand new Gillette Pro Glide power razor to shave my head. I didn't like it one bit! My head wasn't smooth and it stuck like Velcro to everything.
A quick review: I did a direct comparison of the Schick Hydro5 vs the new Gillette Fusion ProGlide. As a background, I shave my head and dont have a beard or 'stache. Both razors had new blades, and the ProGlide had a new battery. I shaved 1/2 of my head and face with the Hydro and the other with the ProGlide. I shaved repeatedly over the same area from different angles. My first impression was that the Hydro5 was a much easier shave. It was obviously cutting the hairs easier than the ProGlide, as there was less "pulling" on the stubble. After I was done shaving, I washed and dried my face and head really well. I then compared both sides to test which razor shaved "closer". The winner was very clearly the Hydro5. The side of my face I used the Hydro5 on felt smoother and, after looking at my face in a concave mirror, it was definitely a closer shave. Looks like the Hydro5 is going to be my razor of choice going forward!

·
Registered
331 Posts
LOL! I didn't have to shave until I was nearly 30! I don't think I went into puberty until then
. When I met my wife I looked like one of those hairless cats, now I have to shave my back! My wife calls it false advertising!

My 12 year old daughter just placed 2nd and 3rd at Nationals for swimming. Before she competed I told her if she metaled, I would shave my head. I really didn't thing she could do it. I shaved my head smooth on Saturday and her teem signed my head. It's embarrassing, but I'll post some pictures.

[/quote]

OK, this is it! Nice businessman to hoodlum! I've never done this before. The closest I have come is a flat top, but that was 5 years and 50lbs. ago! I wish it would grow faster!

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
WARNING! If you have a weak stomach or have any liquids in your mouth, don't look at the pictures!

My kids had to cut my hair in stages to get the full fun out of this once in a lifetime haircut. My favorite is the "Mad Max" picture. It's also the reason I'm going on a diet and the gym.
My wife wasn't going to let me leave the house until I shaved the whole thing. Now she just claims we got a renter until it grows back!

-

Attachments

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
WARNING! If you have a weak stomach or have any liquids in your mouth, don't look at the pictures!

My kids had to cut my hair in stages to get the full fun out of this once in a lifetime haircut. My favorite is the "Mad Max" picture. It's also the reason I'm going on a diet and the gym.
My wife wasn't going to let me leave the house until I shaved the whole thing. Now she just claims we got a renter until it grows back!

-
Scared... for life!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts