Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made some out of paracord with leather pouches.

It is a lot more challenging to me to become accurate with them.

Still a lot of fun!
Very true! It definitely takes a lot of practice! So far the two strips of leather for a pouch is why I like to use most. I am a lot more accurate with it and it seems to work the best and be the most consistent. And I like to use kind of football shaped projectiles. They make a very intimidating sound when they fly through the air!

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
I made a few , back in the day, and all used soft leather pouches. I was just thinking it might be fun to try and make a mini sling and see how that would work. How long are your cords. If memory serves me right, mine were 3 feet.

I might just have to make myself a sling and see if I can stil throw stones with some degree of accuracy. The one thing I like about a Shepards sling is that it is easy to carry in your pocket.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I made a few , back in the day, and all used soft leather pouches. I was just thinking it might be fun to try and make a mini sling and see how that would work. How long are your cords. If memory serves me right, mine were 3 feet.
I might just have to make myself a sling and see if I can stil throw stones with some degree of accuracy. The one thing I like about a Shepards sling is that it is easy to carry in your pocket.
GP - the cord length depends on what you want to do with the sling, just like band length on a slingshot. There is a lot of information on Slinging.org.

Generally, stand up with your arm relaxed and fully extended by your side. Measure from your fingertips to the floor. Cord length is measured from the folded pouch to the knot on the release cord. From there, a short sling is for accuracy and a longer sling is for distance. Shorter slings are more forgiving and generally recommended for beginners. To give an example, it is 28" from my fingertips to the floor. I add 4 inches because I sling for distance. I subtract 4 inches when I want to try for accuracy, which I am still working on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Easy to make, difficult to master, endless supply of free ammo, very satisfying when you get a good launch, equally frustrating when you don't. I made my first sling in the early 70's after reading The Clan of the Cave Bear. Lots of good information at Slinging.org
Thanks for the link! I'm definitely going to check it out!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's my favorite thing about them too haha but yes, shorter is more accurate but you definitely lose power if you go too short so just be cautious of that. Mine are mostly all between 26-30 or so inches. I have a couple that are closer to 3ft and like this gentleman said, they can really get some distance but a lot more difficult to control accurately. Really good for just lobbing stuff out there tho lol

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I use a 32" sling (again measuring from the folded pouch) with a large pouch to sling tennis balls. Our 7 year old godson is a fiend on the frisbee golf course. He can throw a frisbee about as far as I can sling a tennis ball, so we are a good match. Wally World has frisbees for a $1.00 and a bag of practice tennis balls for $8.00,

Slings are very simple to make. If you don't have scrap leather for the pouch, you can make "urban leather" from heavy fabric (I use fake leather or fake suede) and duct tape. There are all sorts of pouch template on Slinging.org and videos showing different throwing styles.

Take it outdoors!

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
I've made a few out of the paracord and leather, and Blue Raja was kind enough to send me some of his, which are a step above! I'm not much for accuracy, but it's a lot of fun to take them to the lake. Free ammo at your feet and a good splash to mark how far you can launch them. I saw one guy on Youtube hunting rabbits with them. He used an Apache release and reported decent results!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've made a few out of the paracord and leather, and Blue Raja was kind enough to send me some of his, which are a step above! I'm not much for accuracy, but it's a lot of fun to take them to the lake. Free ammo at your feet and a good splash to mark how far you can launch them. I saw one guy on Youtube hunting rabbits with them. He used an Apache release and reported decent results!
Thank you, sir. Glad you enjoyed your sling!

·
Super Moderator
6,536 Posts
I moved this topic to the "Other Weapons" section of the forum under Slings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts