Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wow! Yew make a nice bow.
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Well I cut up some bands and attached them to the black palm and red cedar "micro" hammer grip. The bands are 7/8"X1/2"X7.5" at the pouch, drawn to 31". I triple layered them, and I am using a mechanical release as the draw is probably close to 60 pounds....nearly impossible to draw without one! As far as how fast this arrow is shooting....I have no idea. Arrow weight is about 450 grains! Let me know what you think! -Josh

Attachments

·
280 Posts
Thanks guys! I am looking over my bands and nock string and realize there are a few things to optimize on it. The nock string (if thats what it even called
) is just a little too long, so my actual draw is 29.5 inches, the other 1.5 inches is the stupid string so no performance benefit. I am thinking on cutting some bands to 1"X1/2" and making the OAL 6.75-7" and reducing more weight by using a ton less latex to tie off the "pouch". Currently at 20 yards (or close to 20 meters) the drop is about a foot and 3 inches or so, so my brother-in-law is thinking the velocity is near 200 FPS....I'm a little skeptical but think it's completely possible with further work on this and a Chrony to confirm it! Shooting arrows is FUN!

Also, if this is indeed shooting 200 FPS, that is 54 joules or just under 40 ft-lbs!

·
280 Posts
Yup! It's because the fletching is hitting the frame! It straightens out after 10 feet or so. If this is shooting even 150 fps...this is a 30 gram arrow! I can get them at half this weight to increase velocity. My ultimate goal is 200 with this arrow....we shall see

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yup! It's because the fletching is hitting the frame! It straightens out after 10 feet or so. If this is shooting even 150 fps...this is a 30 gram arrow! I can get them at half this weight to increase velocity.
That will also change the stiffness (spine). I think if you get the spine right you won't hit the frame, the arrow will bend around it.

60 pound pull? if the band lets go at the fork, it'll cut your head off.

·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you use a traditional arrow with feather fletching it might shoot better. Just a thought..
What do you mean by traditional arrow? I find now issue with accuracy or longevity of the arrow itself (shot about 75-100 times this weekend) with no noticeable effects. The problem with a "traditional" arrow is that it may be alot heavier than the carbon fiber arrows...

·
Registered
159 Posts
By traditional I just mean an arrow with feather fletching. They fletch carbon arrows with feathers as well. Feather fletching is used when you are shooting a shelf bow or stick bow because the arrows with solid rubber fletching deflect unless you use a proper arrow rest.

It look like it shoots fine but if you want a finer degree of accuracy try an arrow fletched with feathers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts