Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time that I start to experiment with flechettes.

Yes, I am hesistant because of the fear to hit my hand. But then again, hitting my hand with a powerful steel ball would be just as painful, right?

Also, even the Combow was available with flechette bands and the web site offered the flechettes.

So I have ordered cross bow pistol bolts and will adapt them for a "string" pouch. basically I will add a notch just behind the tip.

I plan to mount the slingshot for the first tests, so I can make sure there is no danger for my hand.

I also ordered an 80lbs pistol crossbow to compare the speed I am getting from both weapons.

Has anyone done this before? I'd appreciate your input.

Jörg

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan, I was afraid too - but why should shooting that arrow be any more dangerous than shooting a ball? At the energy level I am at, a hit with the ball on my hand would be just as devastating as hitting it with that arrow. Or do you think the arrow won't fly as straight as the ball would?

Anyway, I am planning to do many test shots from a safe position BEHIND the slingshot. Will also record the shots at 1200 fps so I know what is really happening.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am looking for penetration. Lots of people want to hunt with slingshots, and I believe that full size arrows don't work well. They limit the draw length, and are fairly heavy.

But the short, lightweight flechettes may do the job.

Jörg

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a small ball, with quite a large bradhead arrow-tip on it; the ball is placed in the pouch tip out and with almost no difference in the grip and release. If you find it loses it's path, might I suggest a small piece of string (like a kite tail) glued to the back.
I think such a projectile would start to tumble very quickly, tail or not.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sounds interesting. Do you have a simple sketch or even a photo to visualize the idea?

You will have to use a massive draw weight to shoot a 500 gr arrow at 200 fps with just 24" of a draw.

Jörg

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Robert, yes, I did make a video.

In essence, flechettes work fine. I never encountered a stray shot that was even remotely dangerous for my hand. Shot from the crossbow, there is of course zero danger.

Then again, what exactly are flechettes good for? They cost a lot more money than steel or lead balls and require a lot of work.

After the video, I experimented some more with the fins and found out that you need at least three, better four of them to avoid strays. Two aren't enough because they stabilize in one direction only.

I feel that I explored the field to the full. I went back to balls. It was fun, though!

Jörg

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
True, penetration is better. But I have no use for that, as I don't hunt, and I have no plans to ever shoot another human beeing.

I like target shooting and destruction. Lead and steel balls are perfect for these tasks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.