Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I didn't break anything today ! Broke the commode a few days ago. 26 feet is the max distance I can shoot in my seniors apartment. The catch box is one I ordered from Amazon (China), has a 10x8 in opening with a Velcro attached curtain to contain the 5/16 steel I shot from the HTS. Had to finally lock my cat in the bedroom because he likes to chase the fork hits. I've watched Bill's bench rest video a couple of times and am going to watch it again and again. I believed I had little chance of hitting the target Bill suggested, so I hung a tennis ball. I took 25 shots and may have hit the ball 3 times. Final tally: 16 in the box, five fork hits, four Mia which the cat will probably eventually find. I'm leaving the tripod and catch box in place. My focus today was how to hold the pouch via Bill's instructions. I also discovered that I shoot "better"( ain't that a joke)if I turn my left foot about 45 degrees. Well, it's pathetic, but it's a start. Plan on 25 shots every day.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
What Skropi said!

Inspired by one of Skropi's posts, to make my ammo more manageable, I soak it for a couple of days in cheap yellow mustard to give it a rusted patina, then I spray several coats of Rustoleum truck bed liner. Makes them easier to grip and the flyers that are not contained by the catchbox do not bounce as as much.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Use MUCH lighter bands than the original ones that come with the HTS . 5/16 " ammo needs small bands . Shooting a target set up should be effortless .
I guess if I had your experience it would be.
He means "physically" effortless ???? I am 37 years old, weight around 100kg, and my bands can be drawn by a 7 year old girl ???? I still get good speeds, as 3/8 steel is light, and not much rubber is required, let alone 5/16!

·
Registered
591 Posts
First of all I didn't break anything today ! Broke the commode a few days ago. 26 feet is the max distance I can shoot in my seniors apartment. The catch box is one I ordered from Amazon (China), has a 10x8 in opening with a Velcro attached curtain to contain the 5/16 steel I shot from the HTS. Had to finally lock my cat in the bedroom because he likes to chase the fork hits. I've watched Bill's bench rest video a couple of times and am going to watch it again and again. I believed I had little chance of hitting the target Bill suggested, so I hung a tennis ball. I took 25 shots and may have hit the ball 3 times. Final tally: 16 in the box, five fork hits, four Mia which the cat will probably eventually find. I'm leaving the tripod and catch box in place. My focus today was how to hold the pouch via Bill's instructions. I also discovered that I shoot "better"( ain't that a joke)if I turn my left foot about 45 degrees. Well, it's pathetic, but it's a start. Plan on 25 shots every day.

LOL!!! Refreshing to hear the whole truth!

I had a similar mixed shooting experience this morning. Although my Victorian 2018 has a decent fork, I got fork hits with the 6.5 gramme clay balls, but not with the larger 8 gramme clay balls. Doesn't make sense. But I increased the forward flick of my left wrist and then the ammo size ceased to matter.

I do hate fork hits - outdoors, one is too many, they might seriously damage someone.

Half an hour later, I was feeling happier, getting a lot of shots onto a 4" circle drawn on a paper target at 13 feet distance.

Like you, I shall try to shoot a little and often. It is so different from lining up the sights on my Co2 BB gun and concentrating on the trigger pull - it is more of a whole body experience, more intuitive, with a catapult.

I prefer my clay balls to steel balls (this is not advice, I am just a beginner, experimenting) because they are "grippy" in the pouch, and they soften impacts and, in a bad case, break up, rather than ricocheting at dangerous speed all over the garage.

Mike

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Mike, if I may make a suggestion. I was also shooting at very close distances, but I was advised to move further away as soon as possible. That advice was solid. You may not feel secure, but do start shooting from further away, it will reveal technique issues which are currently hidden, and you will progress much faster!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mike, if I may make a suggestion. I was also shooting at very close distances, but I was advised to move further away as soon as possible. That advice was solid. You may not feel secure, but do start shooting from further away, it will reveal technique issues which are currently hidden, and you will progress much faster!
Thanks, I'll do that as soon as I can.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Way to go, Randroid! I am not kidding. Starting out is tough, bud. But you have made significant measureable progress.

Skropi and Treefork are correct. PM me and I will send a few of my favorite indoor light bands.

Pouch release is a tough nut to solve. I watched Bill's video a bunch of times because I need to start over with my basics.

Thanks, Bill.

I love 20' to 25' range. It is challenging enough and easier to take stock of your shooting. I also have to secure my dogs.

All that said... your comment about how you have to turn out left foot... That makes sense to me. The feet makes tgw poature that gets your head right. You see, I have had 40 years of servere rheumatoid arthritis. It ain't easy... nothing is... but this hobby is adaptable, time consuming, fun, & cheap (ish).

And the community is okay, too. (hahaha... best bunch I ever met online or otherwise.)

How long are your bands? I will be sendimg out a bunch stuff I have been working on Monday anyway. So I might as well cut some band sets. A couple more will be easy work and needed practice. My wife geta the ends of therabands from her work for free. Band sets mail cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Very good start!

We sent you a little something that really should help you out with tying, fork hits and misalignment... It's an Alien Menace prototype set up with Roger Henrie's rotating stainless steel TTF matchstick forks... some more 5/16" ammo... an ammo pouch... and a 40mm light microfiber target for no bounce backs or ricochets... should get it early next week.

Yes, in my opinion it is easier to shoot with larger ammo... much easier to get the feel for alignment and so forth... BUT, if you can do it with the smaller stuff, you'll probably be even better with the bigger stuff.

Plus, with only 26 feet or so and a lot of breakable objects in close proximity... a light set up seems like something that's really needed more than not.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Oh, one more thing... once I started to learn how to shoot a slingshot, about 9 years ago.... it was weeks before I could hit anything much smaller than a gallon jug from 10 meters with any kind of real consistency...

And just so you know, I am and was an expert level shooter with just about every firearm and really good in archery as well...

Slingshot shooting IS much more difficult, and therefore challenging...

So you're already ahead of the game!

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Way to go, Randroid! I am not kidding. Starting out is tough, bud. But you have made significant measureable progress.

Skropi and Treefork are correct. PM me and I will send a few of my favorite indoor light bands.

Pouch release is a tough nut to solve. I watched Bill's video a bunch of times because I need to start over with my basics.

Thanks, Bill.

I love 20' to 25' range. It is challenging enough and easier to take stock of your shooting. I also have to secure my dogs.

All that said... your comment about how you have to turn out left foot... That makes sense to me. The feet makes tgw poature that gets your head right. You see, I have had 40 years of servere rheumatoid arthritis. It ain't easy... nothing is... but this hobby is adaptable, time consuming, fun, & cheap (ish).

And the community is okay, too. (hahaha... best bunch I ever met online or otherwise.)

How long are your bands? I will be sendimg out a bunch stuff I have been working on Monday anyway. So I might as well cut some band sets. A couple more will be easy work and needed practice. My wife geta the ends of therabands from her work for free. Band sets mail cheap.
I'm already sending him a bunch of bandsets that are 0.55mm thick... they're what my kids shoot, so they should be light enough. But if you've got some lighter ones to try, that might be good too!

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Hey Randroid! Congrats on not breaking anything today! Don't lose heart, you're actually doing quite well. I feel like I'm getting similar accuracy as you, and you're catchbox sounds pretty small. I'm using an old cardboard box about twice that size, and although 85% of my ammo goes in it, I always have about 5% that goes careening off six feet to the left/right. I think part of the fun is that it's so difficult, you get a huge rush when you hit your target. Keep chasing that feeling and mind the porcelain!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Awesome job Randroid! You say you'll do 25 a day but you'll see as the days go on in your progression, you'll tell yourself "eh a couple more shots" and then you'll say "eh 10 more shots" and before you know it you'll be shooting over 100 rounds because you love it and you just want to hear that sweet "thwap", that hit. Oooo it sounds so good! And yup you're addicted! Lol

·
Registered
591 Posts
What Skropi said!

Inspired by one of Skropi's posts, to make my ammo more manageable, I soak it for a couple of days in cheap yellow mustard to give it a rusted patina, then I spray several coats of Rustoleum truck bed liner. Makes them easier to grip and the flyers that are not contained by the catchbox do not bounce as as much.
I'm wondering about taking 10mm steel balls and painting floral designs on them with acid-resist, then etching in sulphuric acid to create relief and provide good grip.

Incidentally I am now practising throwing forks and spoons at a large pumpkin at 12 feet, but I get a lot of bounce-offs so I am thinking about using a large Stilton cheese instead.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been shooting 5/16 because that's what I have the most of about 3 lbs I bought from a company when I lived in Ohio, Zanesville Bearing. That was at least 30 years ago. Don't know why I've been hauling them around all this time. After yesterday's shoot I agree I need lighter bands or tubes. After watching (again) Bill's bench rest video I realized while shaving this morning that my elbow hasn't been positioned correctly. Don't ask me what that has to shaving !

1 - 20 of 103 Posts