Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I am currently finishing off making a mini-hunter by Bill Hays. This slingshot is set up for 0TT shooting but I have never shot 0TT.

Does anyone have any advice or tips for shooting 0TT?

Cheers Luke

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
ott is fun, just use your bads to center same as you would otherwise. some say ott is more for "instinctual " shooters, and i think they might be right. or it is for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
nooooo, ott provides a hair more clearance than the ttf styles, if you get hand slap check either bands or ammo, it seems that ratios in this area is the reason for most band slaps, my example is when i was learning PFS i used dried beans in case of RTS or fork hits, so it really hurt to shot, bad! now that i am using 3/8' steel the band slap has gone away

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see! How long did it take you to get use to shooting OTT?

Hearing about band slap put me off shooting OTT originally but now I fancy trying it out for hunting!

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
I see! How long did it take you to get use to shooting OTT?

Hearing about band slap put me off shooting OTT originally but now I fancy trying it out for hunting!
that depends on you, what i mean by that is that when i practice i do it mostly for enjoyment so i rotate PFS, OTT, OTF, FLATSTRAP. so it takes a few rounds with each to re-aclimate to each style and ss, but if you only practice with one you will find the transition to very quick, maybe within 10 shots? its really not too different.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
ott is fun, just use your bads to center same as you would otherwise. some say ott is more for "instinctual " shooters, and i think they might be right. or it is for me anyway.
I definitely agree with being instinctual, almost all of my SS's are set up as OTT style except for my Bill Hays Seal Sniper, Truthfully in my opinion i really didnt find/have any problems switching between the two styles. I would have to say though TTF style is more accurate once you get used to it

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
I definitely agree with being instinctual, almost all of my SS's are set up as OTT style except for my Bill Hays Seal Sniper, Truthfully in my opinion i really didnt find/have any problems switching between the two styles. I would have to say though TTF style is more accurate once you get used to it
[/quote]
i just need to get serious and just shoot 1 maybe 2? nahhh! i'm having fun lol

·
See The Target
21,654 Posts
Cut OTT band grooves in this sling and you will NOT have any band slap.OTT is extremely easy to shoot. i find it easier than Outside the forks(usually misnamed TTF). Just do it!

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
2,089 Posts
I feel like band slap is more a result of surplus band energy rather than the absence of grooves

·
See The Target
21,654 Posts
I feel like band slap is more a result of surplus band energy rather than the absence of grooves
Its also a matter of band position .Do some research. It has been discussed many times. Video evidence displaying band flight ect. The info is here. Or you can simply do the experiment yourself. The OTT band grooves were introduced by Bill Hays about a month or two ago. I believe it was in the bands and tubes section.

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
2,089 Posts
Misunderstanding, I thought you were referring to band grooves for tying, but you're referring to band slots, not grooves. Check your terminology:) research not necessary

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
I need to do a video of this technique... I'm actually fairly decent at an "intuitive" type of style. Can hit a bullseye sized target with a mini-Hunter type of slingshot pretty consistently. Not quite as accurate with it as I am when shooting through the forks like I usually use for lighting matches (like with the Scorpion)... but am a lot faster, and in general accurate "enough".
And that's really the advantage as I see it with the OTT designs... you can make them small and extremely pocketable, so that you barely notice them when carrying... whereas the larger TTF models like the Scorpion are more accurate, but you do tend to notice them when they're in your pocket.

I know that when I'm working around the farm, the largest slingshot I like to carry is the Shrike... and most of the time it's something real small like a mini-Hunter variation.

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you could do a video that would be great!!
I want to try OTT shooting for hunting as it seems to be faster, therefore I can get a shot off faster

Cheers Luke

1 - 16 of 16 Posts