Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
The idea is to use a magazine to always have a new ball ready to be picked up in a fixed position low in the fork.

I was watching a couple of JoergS' videos, the gatling gun and his swivel forks and I realised that the space in the middle of the swivel is wasted. You could put a spring fed ball magazine in there and always have a ball ready to be pinched off in the pouch. This would reduce time spent fumbling for a ball and then fitted into the pouch.

So I bought a length of loose 6mm spring coil, turned a cupped seat to top the spring and formed the tip of a 5/16" aluminium tube as shown below to hold the top ball in position where it could be slid out but wouldn't come out on its own. The bottom of the tube was loosely crimped. I can't remember how many I loaded; somewhere between a dozen and two dozen.

This is just a conceptual exercise; the design was a spur of the moment thing and leaves much to be improved. First, I'm only using 6mm copper BBs, which are too small. Secondly, the tube's too long. Maybe it could be coiled. Thirdly, the tip could do with a lot of fine-tuning. I could drill some holes to show how many balls are left too.

What do you think?

Has this been done before?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I sure haven't seen a mag like this used in conjunction with a slingshot before. Most slingshot "magazines" are merely hollow handles from which you dump individual balls when needed.
I like the fact that you actually turned a cupped follower for this thing, rather than just using a piece of solid aluminum bar or something on top of the spring. Nice detail. Since this would be designed to fit inside the handle swivel, I'm not sure how you'd solve the length vs. capacity issue, other than maybe forming a "drum" of sorts that would coil below the grip (which sounds like where you're headed, if I read you right). Overall, a really cool idea. I think upsizing the final product to hold 3/8" ammo would be perfect: wouldn't make the resulting mag too large to fit in the swivel, while maintaining a reasonably slim grip profile, and would allow you to use 3/8 steel for target and 3/8 (.375) lead for hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I turned it out of laziness. I didn't have anything the right size, so rather than go get something I took a bolt and made it fit. The cup was drilled with an old 10mm bit in the tailstock with the tip shaped to round on a bench grinder.

I think this adds little over the the magnetic pouch I saw on the forum, so I doubt I'll incorporate it into a design till I have a real need and have improved the feed stop.

I've brought some leather home from the shop so maybe I'll have a go at stitching a far more practical belt-pouch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts