Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Alfred E.M. suggested it so here's what I rode today. My Surly Pacer, she's nothing fancy. It's a steel frame road bike with a Honey Brown Brooks saddle with copper rivets, cloth handle bar tape finished with dyed twine and a cool little copper bell.
It's not super lightweight or really fast but I don't race anyways and I don't care to. It is a very fun bike to ride.

Attachments

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
Alfred E.M. suggested it so here's what I rode today. My Surly Pacer, she's nothing fancy. It's a steel frame road bike with a Honey Brown Brooks saddle with copper rivets, cloth handle bar tape finished with dyed twine and a cool little copper bell.
It's not super lightweight or really fast but I don't race anyways and I don't care to. It is a very fun bike to ride.
Clean, cool bike Jake. Brooks saddles - all day, every day. :)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My full suspension Fuji took the pedals off after I washed it
attachicon.gif
0B421996-D161-4AD8-AEA9-27F95733BA86.jpeg
Sweet ride! :) That thing probably has sealed ceramic bearings or something. Speaking of washing, and bearings, anybody have some good tricks for washing em? Other than just being real careful like me lol :)
If you have sealed bearings, you really don't need to do anything. If you have bearings in retainers or loose ones you can clean them with de-greaser, or I've used "Simple Green" with good luck and pack them with grease.

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
188 Posts
My full suspension Fuji took the pedals off after I washed it
attachicon.gif
0B421996-D161-4AD8-AEA9-27F95733BA86.jpeg
Sweet ride! :) That thing probably has sealed ceramic bearings or something. Speaking of washing, and bearings, anybody have some good tricks for washing em? Other than just being real careful like me lol :)
If you have sealed bearings, you really don't need to do anything. If you have bearings in retainers or loose ones you can clean them with de-greaser, or I've used "Simple Green" with good luck and pack them with grease.
I meant cleaning the bike not the bearings... my bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha!! I always use dish soap and a soft brush. The soap does pretty good at cutting and oil or grease. I'll set it in the sun for a bit to dry and then lube everything again.

I've used WD-40 sprayed on a rag to wipe the whole bike down too, it works good but no way would I use it for a lubricant, I think it's a better solvent than a lube.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ha!! I always use dish soap and a soft brush. The soap does pretty good at cutting oil or grease. I'll set it in the sun for a bit to dry and then lube everything again.

I've used WD-40 sprayed on a rag to wipe the whole bike down too, it works good but no way would I use it for a lubricant, I think it's a better solvent than a lube.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rode this today. My off road touring bike, Salsa Fargo. This is the rig I take when I want to explore some back roads and trails.
Steel frame of course, 3 x 10 with disc brakes, it has plenty of eyelets for racks and fenders. A Black Brooks B17 saddle with copper rivets and bar end shifters for changing gears. Even in the drops, this is an upright comfortable bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Need to post pictures so need to post pictures....Have a 1990's Raleigh MAX lightweight mountain bike 1500w rear hub conversion with a 36v 15ah battery thing weighs 23 kg (sorry) I weigh 77kg (sorry) (no lb's scale at mo) but I can commute the 12 miles to work in 25 mins and have had 37 mph on the speedo but happy going along at 25 mph as my ciggie last's longer..will post a pic as soon as I can ......fitted semi slick tyres which help with speed but do add a touch of danger on the A roads....

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got back from a nice bike ride and I always run into at least one person that has their head down, dressed like a cartoon billboard and when you say hello to them they just look at you and scowl.

Bro! You're 62 and haven't raced a day in your life and guess what....you're not going to the Tour again this year!!! If you can't take a brief second to tell someone hello you're an (_*_) !

·
Registered
31 Posts
devils son in law ....that's why I make a point of smoking whilst on my bike as I pass them and ask for a light the looks I get are so much fun....fitted a new controller and battery today ffs I do not like 40mph.....

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
Boatman, did you buy your rear motor kit off ebay? I've had my eye on one for quite a while - it's presently out of stock but always gets replenished. Picked up a solid '96 Schwinn 6 speed cruiser for cheap on Craigslist - waiting in a corner for R&R and for me to line up the financial ducks. 25 mph is plenty fast for me and most converted bicycles. Please post some pics. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Bicycle-Rear-Wheel-Kit-Conversion-E-Bike-Motor-26-48V-1500W-Motor-Hub/132336967195?epid=1286064734&hash=item1ecfe5de1b:g:Y8gAAOSwBfRbKqc8

Attachments

1 - 20 of 88 Posts