Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@Bushpot here:

Although not all of us are doomed to spend the next few months freezing our marbles off just to bust a can, those of us who are may have started using different setups. Are you using cold weather latex? Switching to butterfly? Or just slinging indoors until the warm weather returns? I myself am using a mix of cold weather (red) latex from Precise, 2040/TBG cocktails & playing with some other materials just for a laugh. One set working surprisingly well so far is 5/8"x10.5" straight cuts of gum rubber on my maple Wishbone. It's sending marbles straight through pop cans at 10m all day long and sends my 95gn oval sinkers with some very respectable thump.

So, what say you my soon to be snowed in slingers?

Say that 10x fast lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A while back I tested some flatbands and skinny tubes in cold temps. The flats did fine but the tubes lost a lot of speed. The flats lost 8-12fps when temps dropped down to 38F.

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/114202-more-cold-weather-testing/?hl=%2Bcold+%2Btemperature

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/113822-1636-vs-1632/?hl=%2Bcold+%2Btemperature
Chef here:

Thanks Northerner that's some useful info, I wondered what skinny tubes did in cold weather. 1745/2040 work pretty good for me in the cold but I totally max out my draw with them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm inside pfs's put down till spring cause they still are erratic at times! So my winter boyshot is inside and teaching me a thing or two!
Chef:

I hear that my friend, working on an indoor setup for Athena & myself to shoot small ammo on days when it's just too windy to deal with going outside.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
This winter I want to try cold weather flats, and some cocktails when my 1745 comes in. But typical I just cut my bands a little wider and more extreme taper. Also idk why, but I tend to shoot #107’s a lot in the winter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use theraband black (nice and thin) and aim high to compensate for the loss in power
Sounds like a good system I haven't shot TBB in a loonngg while - good stuff. Something that fell out of style that has some SERIOUS juice is Theraband blue. I like folded 3"x9" TBB. I've sent 1/2 hex nuts through 1/4" pine boards with that stuff and cold weather didn't mess with it too much at all. There was a fella on YouTube who was showing its potential and he was doing some flat crazy stuff with it, young guy in the woods. Not Joerg Sprave lol, if I find it I'll post it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This winter I want to try cold weather flats, and some cocktails when my 1745 comes in. But typical I just cut my bands a little wider and more extreme taper. Also idk why, but I tend to shoot #107's a lot in the winter
Good plan my friend, you're going to love cocktails. Where do you get your #107's?

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I use theraband black (nice and thin) and aim high to compensate for the loss in power
Sounds like a good system I haven't shot TBB in a loonngg while - good stuff. Something that fell out of style that has some SERIOUS juice is Theraband blue. I like folded 3"x9" TBB. I've sent 1/2 hex nuts through 1/4" pine boards with that stuff and cold weather didn't mess with it too much at all. There was a fella on YouTube who was showing its potential and he was doing some flat crazy stuff with it, young guy in the woods. Not Joerg Sprave lol, if I find it I'll post it!
I too shoot Thera band blue a fair bit. I can get it at my local drug store. And your right, the thin rubber doesn't seem to be effected by the cold nearly as much.
This winter I want to try cold weather flats, and some cocktails when my 1745 comes in. But typical I just cut my bands a little wider and more extreme taper. Also idk why, but I tend to shoot #107's a lot in the winter
Good plan my friend, you're going to love cocktails. Where do you get your #107's?
I get my 107's on Amazon. Alliance sterlings, I've tried no name ones locally as well, all work but the alliance sterlings definitely seem to be the best. I can get more than adequate hunting power with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts