Slingshots Forum banner

Silica crystals a desiccant

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Konrad 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well we learn something new every day. I thought this was funny and ironic and would like to share. I bought 500 rounds of 8mm steel. I know from my archery that when you put Fletching superglue within a airtight container with uncooked rice in the freezer it will keep indefinitely. I want to preserve the mirror finish I have on my 500 rounds of 8mm steel shot.

I thought about it and remember those little packets you get when you buy computer hardware. I looked it up and it turn out to be Silica crystals. I did a internet search to find it for sale at any retail outlet. No where could I find it locally. I was getting frustrate and resumed my search on desiccants. Well I found out that Silica crystal are also kitty litter. Wow some people are selling 1kg lots in a sort of pillow for $40 and I found 2kg at the local supermarket for $8.

So now I have my 8mm in thier little bags with a sort of potpourri folded tissue ready to be vacuum sealed.

How to Make your own Silica Gel Desiccant Packets for pennies!

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/481187/smitten-cat-litter-crystals

Please share your thoughts. I certainly found it enlightening.
Salutations to slingshotforum.com PK

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I usually keep them when they come out of packaging. Have enough of those... Good to know I can actually dry them out and cat litter is a new one! Have cat litte handy too (2 cats)... thanks for sharing!!! [emoji482]
:rofl: I could not find it for retail until I saw that Youtube video.

I found It funny, the same stuff is sold by laboratory suppliers. 1000ml $40

http://mcscientific.com.au/silica-gel-desiccant-beads/

Silica gel where can I buy it

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/forum/general-forums/off-track-talk/35960-silica-gel-where-can-i-buy-it?p=747058#post747058

You know the saying "keep your powder dry". I found it very ironic that I have bought expensive computer hardware and this is how the moisture was kept out. :p

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you want to dry them out put them in the oven at a vey low temperature or as its cooling down after use.

It just has to be hot enough to drive the water vapour out and not so hot as to burn the paper.

A vacuum jar would also work if you keep the pump running for a while.
That's correct, into the oven. They can last for many years.

Calcium Chloride the only Moisture Absorber I found for retail sale is one use only. I am going to vacuum seal. I wanted to make sure there was as little moisture as possible. I have a heap of other things like arrow broad heads and scope rings I want to stop from flash rusting too.

PK

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
My slingshot rifle needs G100's steel balls to fire straight. I invoke the magnus effect If I use inferior shot. Looks like I might be one of the first to take a bunny with a night vision equipped slingshot rifle. Welcome to the future.

IR-NV.jpg

Flymar-hunting-slingshot-rifle.jpg

I hope someone finds this info useful, I certainly did. Salutations. PK :D

Oh yeah Hullaballo is that advice from some personnel experience? :p

#12 ·
I've been meaning to throw some desiccant in my jars of ammo but haven't got around to it. I usually just put a few drops of some oil in the jar then shake it. Then when they get shoved in my pocket for shooting enough of the oil comes off to not make them slippery. I Evaporust and tumble when they get real grubby.

#13 ·
I squirt some rustproofing on steel ammo (in storage) and store in Ziploc bags with as little air in the bag as possible. The Krown brand of rustproofing seems to work well. Prior to putting the ammo into active use I roll them on an old towel to take away the oil. I don't do anything with the few hundred balls that I shoot regularly. Maybe they would see an oil treatment if I got caught shooting in the rain.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
After 3+ days (4 hours each evening) and multiple bands sets, shooting indoors, I had finally got my answer as to how to make my slingshot rifle group properly. No flinching when pulling the trigger, following thru (painting the target all the way) and it was not me. It turned out that I need to use a G100 grade ball bearing. There is a science behind this. My shot needs to be mirror finish to get the least air resistance. I have very good reasons to want to preserve my ammo in pristine condition.

It seem that airsoft shooters are aware of this and need to use a higher quality ammo to get straighter flight too.

Here is a video of the curve ball with airsoft, very similar to my dilemma.

Best Airsoft BBs for Your Gun - Lancer Tactical BB Guide.

Thank you to all who contributed to this discussion in a thoughtful and productive manner. Salutations K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.