Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this and can't find a definitive answer. Ive read up on lubricants, I've seen people saying anything silicone based is good but does that go as far as just plain silicone grease?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I’ve been curious about this too but I’m too inexperienced with the regular lubricants to know if the result would be positive or negative. Silicone grease states that its 98% pure silicone so my best guess is that it would work fine, but I need to talk someone into trying it that has more experience with lubricants/protectants on bands in general.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'd just store my bands well in a cool, dark place. I tie them well but not too tight so I won't cut them prematurely. I never dry fire and I match my ammo. Plus I'd make sure my frame doesn't have any rough or sharp edges that might abrade a bandset. I also don't leave my set-up frames in the sun or expose it to too much light for too long. And this is about all I need to do to the get the performance and durability I want from a bandset.

I don't think there is any need to lubricate bandsets? Your mileage may vary though. This is just me? I see bandsets as a perishable consummable component of the sport. They are not prohibitively expensive, plus they are easily available - in recent years anyway. We now have many good choices of inexpensive Chinese slingshot rubber.

And if you really just want the best durability, you could always switch to tubes.

Adding a lubricant would also be exposing myself to another chemical. Residue probably aerosolizes from bands during shooting and I am not keen to breath that in? We already breath in enough that's not good

Be as it may, part of the fun is finding out what works for you. These are just some considerations from the perspective of someone who won't lubricate bands. But if lubricating bandsets works for you, don't let this stop you... Enjoy your shooting in good health!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Adding a lubricant would also be exposing myself to another chemical. Residue probably aerosolizes from bands during shooting and I am not keen to breath that in? We already breath in enough that's not good
Definitely, and Silicone's not great for you, either. 👍

I see it the same as you do, bands are meant to break and wear down, that's half the fun of it.

If you're looking for long term storage options for bandsets, get some of those mylar lined baggies off of ebay, and some Silica dessiccant packets, and store the bands inside the baggie with a silica pack inside to keep them fresh.

Something maybe worth trying is seeing if storing bandsets in a cigar humidor would make any difference to longevity?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips, I'll not use lubricant on one set and do what you said above, see how it goes. At some point I'll experiment with a few things and update this post with my findings.
Cheers 🍻

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.