Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a couple of these sturdy crates lying around...

Wood Rectangle Wooden block Wood stain Hardwood

Cut the back out of one...

Wood Rectangle Floor Hardwood Wood stain

The plan is to attach that one in front of the other, like this...

Wood Fixture Rectangle Wood stain Composite material

Here it is in glue up...

Wood Automotive design Motor vehicle Package delivery Shipping box

I will be reinforcing it with some pine boards. It's not very big. 19" high X 10.5" wide and 1' deep. Should be more than adequate for my fairly close range indoor range (about 22'). Have to experiment with the backing. Been using a sheet in my current box, but get a lot of bounce-out. Not sure if it's the thickness, or if it's not hanging loose enough. Thoughts and ideas about what to use would be greatly appreciated! Will post the finished project later. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here it is with pine base added. Also has a rear riser block for the forward slanted tray and with the front ball retainer edge...

Wood Fixture Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain

With tray installed...

Shipping box Stairs Wood Rectangle Packing materials

While I added the balls for effect in the picture, it became apparent that 3/8 steel will fit through the spaces on the sides, so I added some cardboard to keep them contained...

Wood Floor Flooring Plank Hardwood

I think I am going to add a couple of angled blocks at the front edge and notch the center so it will funnel the balls into a catch bucket hung underneath.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
That's coming along nicely. I think the sheer has more to do with having room to actually catch the ammo rather than how thick it is. I use a sleeping bag folded over so there isn0lentt thickness but its against the back of the box so alot of bounce outs.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
T-shirts hung like drapes with a heavy piece of cloth behind work good as a backstop. Make sure they don't touch the bottom and can swing free. About 5 or 6 to cover 10.5 inches wide. Since your boxes is only a foot deep you probably still get occasional bounce outs when you hit your target. Here is a link to Matt's video (you'll shoot your eye out slingshots). He shows the t-shirt method. Also I believe this is the ultimate indoor range.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The magnet works perfectly as long as the steel stays in the box. Tried several different t-shirt combos and configurations and still get some bounce out. I'm sure the issue is just that the box is on the small side. If it was twice as big I'm sure all the shots would be contained inside because the ones that escape are not bouncing out far and would be caught by a bigger box. My homemade leather targets are holding up very well. Glued two pieces of very thick, stiff leather together with a thin leather loop sandwiched between.

White Product Clothes hanger Sleeve T-shirt

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Now this is a thread that I am interested in. I always get a lot of bounce outs too when I hang a blanket.

There must be an ultimate material to use, So It will be great to see what others are using.

Thanks StringSlap.
This is what works for me:

A stainless woven wire mesh sewed to a thick black towel. Mesh at the back, towel at the front.

·
Neophyte
2,095 Posts
I use Fiveshooter's method of a free hanging pillow case. I hardly ever have bounce outs. It may sound counter intuitive but it works :)

Reactions: StringSlap
1 - 14 of 14 Posts