Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was showing one of my Daughters how to shoot but She kept getting handslaps... which made her flinch, messing with her accuracy, and then she wanted to quit... So I looked at her slingshot and came up with a super simple solution that totally eliminated the handslaps and immediately allowed her to concentrate better on the target, stop flinching and start to actually hit the target... But the MOST important thing was... She didn't want to quit after she wasn't "punished" for shooting.

This simple innovation will be added to all my G10 and other strong framed slingshots.... because after I did this with my Snow Tiger... I too was able to pull heavier bands without being punished.

You simply drill a hole through the side of curved part of the fork tip... lightly allign and pull your bands over the top.. insert a wire, zip tie or other clip over the top and through the hole... voila... no more handslaps... your accuracy and enjoyment will increase two fold.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've worn out two sets of bands this weekend, around 1000 shots total... both breaking at the pouch. At first I was afraid the zip ties would cut the bands, so I made some smooth stainless steel, precisely fit clips to put on there instead... but I didn't ever need them since the bands were just fine on top of the forks and broke at the pouch as usual.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
I have said this over and over, but just because the bands break at the pouch does not mean that it is not something at the tip causing it. The pouch tends to push the bands into the tips bruising the rubber, so any thing at the tips that is near to being sharp can affect band life. -- Tex

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dayhiker, since you're pretty handy you might want to do it like I did on my Snow Tiger:

Tex,
I'm getting around 500 shots on average for most of my band sets. I know they don't last me as long as many others because of my draw length.
With or without the handslap preventer, I'm getting about the same amount of shots... and the bands are tearing in exactly the same spot they always do, right below where they're tied. It doesn't matter what frame or type of bandset... it seems they all tear at the same spot.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
I understand that we are discussing new methods of hand slap control on this thread. Please allow me to regress somewhat! Hand slap control is another feature of the Saunders flat band tip system that I don’t think that I mentioned before or have seen mentioned before. It does not eliminate hand slap all together but does reduce it a lot. The more I look at there cam system, the more I appreciate their design. Charles and his engineer did a great job back in 2001/2002 considering that when they designed the new tips, there was not a lot of information to be had on flat bands such as there is now. Here is a review of the benefits of their tip design. 1) Quick changing of bands with no tying. 2) Over the top sight picture. 3) A fail safe design. 4) Reduced hand slap. 5) Easy modification of cam to make a good sight and Saunders also sell a Pipper Fiber-optic sight that replaces one cam. 6) Repair parts are available. 7) Hand and arm safety design. 8) Manufactured and backed by a USA company. Today we have the benefit of many fine custom designs that I like a lot and would not say anything despairing about. Saunders however in my book is still the leader in low cost high production manufactured slingshots. I also believe that the Hawk In the right hands could win a tournament and that the low cost adds the ability of anybody being competitive. -- Tex

·
Registered
861 Posts
So if you use a zip tie or clamp to keep from handslap, the band dosen't need to go over the top, why not just fasten the band to the top of the fork with a device rather than going over the top and fixing it in the groove.
But anyway= I'll just keep on with my flip style shooting-no handslap for me, or zip ties= Great idea tho, not for me

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Forgive me for asking but what does handslap feel like? I might occasionally get a slight sting in the fork hand middle finger but nothing particularly uncomfortable. Is that handslap? I have shot many forks bands and varying ammo loads, but felt nothing that would warrant all the engineering being lavished on these already fine slingshots.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tex:
All that is true.
I really like my Saunders Hawk I got from you... and for the small amount I've shot it, it's a nice shooter as well...
But there are literally thousands upon thousands of Over The Top shooting slingshots out there already... so my intention was not to simply buy a new slingshot and put away what you're already using... but with a simple modification you can make it so your existing slingshot is more of a pleasure to shoot.

Also, for many, many new shooters... that handslap can and does make them quit the pursuit of slingshot shooting, as it's not exactly a pleasurable experience getting punished for doing something well.... So I thought I'd share the simple way in which I was able to keep my own kids interested in shooting, and not quitting because their hands are getting hurt.

Dan:
I'm happy for you that you don't experience handslap that often. But many others do and it turns them off of using slingshots.
If we truly want more people involved in this hobby/sport/obsession of ours then getting the negatives eliminated is not a bad thing to try and pursue.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So if you use a zip tie or clamp to keep from handslap, the band dosen't need to go over the top, why not just fasten the band to the top of the fork with a device rather than going over the top and fixing it in the groove.
But anyway= I'll just keep on with my flip style shooting-no handslap for me, or zip ties= Great idea tho, not for me
Again, there's already thousands upon thousands of already existing slingshots, setup with an OTT design. A simple mod such as shown, will allow more new shooters to get involved without turning them off because of handslap.
Plus if you are accustomed to the sight picture of an OTT design and can shoot that style well... this doesn't change that up, you get to keep your same sight picture, performance and point of aim do not change either, the only thing different is you will not get the punishing handslap some are getting with heavier bands.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
Bill I do understand where you are coming from and I agree 100%! I was just making the point that I did not think that the anti-hand slap of the Saunders had been mentioned before, at least not that I had remembered. Another thing that can reduce hand slap on already existing slingshots is to tilt the frame slightly forward. -- Tex

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tex - Shooter : with my slingshots, to tilt the frame slightly forward don't work.

Bill Hays : I think your idea is great because i think that the pouch stay in the top when it come back.

Thanks

Xavier

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
The easiest way to stop hand slap is to shoot heavier ammo.Your bands will last longer also.Slingshots are similar to bows the heavier pull bow the heavier arrows you have to shoot.If you shoot to light of arrows it is like dry firing and the bow will break sooner.Same as shooting a slingshot with no ammo in the pouch or to light of ammo the bands will break sooner.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Hand slaps are indeed an issue for me.

They really occur when you draw out far with powerful bands. They are a lesser issue with heavy ammo but they still won't go away. Heavier ammo is also bigger, and needs larger pouches, large pouches are heavy and store more energy = harder handslaps.

For a few shots, the effect is more irritating than painful, but after an hour of shooting it gets unpleasant.

The Trumark S9 is giving me the most painful handslaps, I think the rotating prongs do that. OTP slingshots come second. Both designs allow the bands to pass the forks freely, that is the explanation. Saunders has very bulky fork tips, they work as a hand protection, so Bill Harriman is right.

The Clamp-On Through The Fork slingshots are very good in this regard.

Bill Hays's little trick certainly works, but you know what? I think the zip ties or metal holders taint the beauty of the slingshot. I would rather live with the handslap.

Jörg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.