Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably get excommunicated for this post, but I'd like to discuss size.

Every time I read about one of you guys having a sling "that fits nicely in the pocket" I wonder why would it?

1. If you are carrying it on the job. Shooting on the boss' dime is going get you in hot water.

So lets say you only shoot on your lunch hour. Sling won't fit in your lunch box?

2. Okay, you are out in the toolies taking a stroll and you see a hostile beer can.

No time to take your sling out from under your jacket and hunt your pockets for some ammo?

3. So lets say that you are seriously out hunting. Going to put some meat on the table.

You're sneaking around the timber with your sling and ammo buttoned away in a cargo pocket?

I measured a couple of my nice slings od. One from Misling 3 3/8", my taurus mini 3 3/8", a beautiful sling from treeman 3 1/8! And

guess what? They will all go in my shirt pocket with room to spare for a pill bottle of ammo.!

We going to shoot the things or just make them small enough to pack around day and night?

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
I've carried a Pocket knife since I was 5. I don't always need it, but when I do I have it. A pocket shooter follows the same line with me. I backed off a loose Chow by skipping a 1/4" off the top of its head and a fond farewell to aid in its departure. I am going to get my CCW permit this year and will no doubt have a Pocket pistol of some kind. Besides, We are Slingshot Addicts. It just seems the natural thing to do. :iono:

·
Mojave Mo
5,481 Posts
Good Grief Man!!! Are you trying to start a SlingRiot???! We got the Pocket Predator's right around the corner. The real heroes are carrying Pocket Knives with their Pocket Change and their Pockets full of Kryptonite right next to their Pocket Flask!?
However, the 'Sling in my Pocket' concept has been a dud for me. Unless I wearing cargo shorts then I find my tie-wraps getting flustered. I went with looped tubes and found the experience adaptable, but then I can't/won't carry anything else in that pocket. My hand prefers a larger sling, so then I need an even larger pocket! It just dawned on me....maybe I need a sling purse, or maybe a nice little Gucci clutch or shoulder bag to carry my slingwear? I'm sure the other Hillbillies wont even blink an eye right??.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
I've carried a slingshot in my pocket for years. It's in my pocket pretty much all of the time. At work, at home, church, coffee, morning walk etc etc etc.

What's more, it is always loaded. I put a slot in the bottom of the handle that enables me to put a ball in the pouch, wrap the bands around the slingshot and jam the pouch into the slot - holding the ball in place in the pouch.

If I see something I want to shoot I'm about 4 seconds from pulling the slingshot out of my pocket, unwrapping it and pulling back. All the while never taking my eyes off the target.

If I'm in the field hunting I carry it in-hand but otherwise it's easily accessible.

My slingshot is also small. 3 x 3.5 inches give or take a bit. It will handle light bands or heavy hunting bands. Full butterfly or whatever.

It's whatever you train yourself to get used to. Because it's always in my back pocket I don't want to sit on a big clunky thing or tear or distort my pocket.

The one that is in my pocket right now is 2.25 x 3 inches and 1/8 thick. It's micarta and is set up for 5/16. I'll send off a picture of the slingshot that Joey made for me a little while ago. It is small and easily handles anything I want to put on it.

·
Mojave Mo
5,481 Posts
I've carried a slingshot in my pocket for years. It's in my pocket pretty much all of the time. At work, at home, church, coffee, morning walk etc etc etc.

What's more, it is always loaded. I put a slot in the bottom of the handle that enables me to put a ball in the pouch, wrap the bands around the slingshot and jam the pouch into the slot - holding the ball in place in the pouch.

If I see something I want to shoot I'm about 4 seconds from pulling the slingshot out of my pocket, unwrapping it and pulling back. All the while never taking my eyes off the target.

If I'm in the field hunting I carry it in-hand but otherwise it's easily accessible.

My slingshot is also small. 3 x 3.5 inches give or take a bit. It will handle light bands or heavy hunting bands. Full butterfly or whatever.

It's whatever you train yourself to get used to. Because it's always in my back pocket I don't want to sit on a big clunky thing or tear or distort my pocket.

The one that is in my pocket right now is 2.25 x 3 inches and 1/8 thick. It's micarta and is set up for 5/16. I'll send off a picture of the slingshot that Joey made for me a little while ago. It is small and easily handles anything I want to put on it.
So did J5 put a Winnie Ammo-Slot on your new piece?

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Yes he did put a slot in it for me. He did a beautiful job.

A "Winnie Ammo Slot" has a nice ring to it. I've been trying unsuccessfully to get others to try it for years. For me it makes all the sense in the world - having a shot ready to go and having the slingshot ready at hand.

But then I'm a bit odd, having one in my pocket all of the time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like lots of different slingshots for lots of different situations.

Currently I'm shooting the Bonegrip OTT, YSYEO fugetaboutit, and Pocket Predator scorpion and HTS. All great frames, but none are super pocketable for me.

In my right front coat pocket I have a pouch (tuff possum pouch) that has an OOAK Forge titanium PFS, a magnet with around 40-50 .177cal bbs, and a spare bandset. It's just there in case I find myself somewhere I feel like plinking and I wish I had a slingshot along.

There are for sure other frames that are more capable and still very pocketable, but this, with ammo, frame, spare bandset, and pouch to hold it all is so small and light I forget it's even there.

If I'm going on a PLANNED slingshot walk, or even just out for a hike, I'll bring a larger more comfortable frame, and either lead, steel, or clay ammo, depending on the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we are certainly discussing that! And I'm getting my butt kicked. You have brought up some points that I had not considered. My final shot will be..I don't shoot well with the small stuff and if I can't shoot it I don't want it around. I have nothing against people who collect slings, but after 75 years, you find yourself buried under a layer of stuff that you don't even see anymore. I love my slings and would love to have one from some of these wood carvers. But fork hits be damned, I want to shoot it or send it to someone who can.

I'm guessing that 90% of the time I want to use a slingshot there is time for me to get one.

I'll say no more on this thread, I consider myself thoroughly drubbed on this subject. :(

·
Mojave Mo
5,481 Posts
Yes he did put a slot in it for me. He did a beautiful job.

A "Winnie Ammo Slot" has a nice ring to it. I've been trying unsuccessfully to get others to try it for years. For me it makes all the sense in the world - having a shot ready to go and having the slingshot ready at hand.

But then I'm a bit odd, having one in my pocket all of the time.
I thought it brilliant when you first showed it. 'Locked and Loaded' with the Winnie Ammo Slot!

·
Mojave Mo
5,481 Posts
Hang in there SJAaz. For awhile I went the same route as I did with my gunpowder toys. I had two slings in the truck, one in the garage, back porch, front porch, under the couch, under the bed, sock drawer, bathroom sink, brief bag, coat pocket, pants pocket, in the safe, kitchen behind the cereal, and one at my neighbor's house if I couldn't find my slingshot.
When I found the forum I promised myself 'no more than 'Seven Perfect Slings', now I am up to about Twenty Four and now trying to get back to the 'Magic Dozen'. However. I turn FiftySix tomorrow and have been eyeballing this sweet little shooter...and......

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hang in there SJAaz. For awhile I went the same route as I did with my gunpowder toys. I had two slings in the truck, one in the garage, back porch, front porch, under the couch, under the bed, sock drawer, bathroom sink, brief bag, coat pocket, pants pocket, in the safe, kitchen behind the cereal, and one at my neighbor's house if I couldn't find my slingshot.
When I found the forum I promised myself 'no more than 'Seven Perfect Slings', now I am up to about Twenty Four and now trying to get back to the 'Magic Dozen'. However. I turn FiftySix tomorrow and have been eyeballing this sweet little shooter...and......

It's a disease man. This "pride of ownership" is a tough thing to beat when you like 'em all.

·
Read Only
0 Posts

happy b day MM :wave:

·
Mojave Mo
5,481 Posts
Happy Birthday mo :)
Thanks brother! I made it. One day at a time! I just sprung for legit band tying jig. It should make it here before my next birthday! Green Mountain/Blue Water has a very proud jig that I'll show off when Tapatalk releases me from 'photo uploading restrictions'...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.