Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try my hand at a board cut pocket shooter, but since most of my experience is with naturals and vintage slingshots, I was wondering if anyone could give me a idea or ideas on the optimum size for a pocket shooter. Height, width, space between forks etc. Any suggestions would be welcome..

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I think there's no right answer to fit every design or every person. You really have to make it to fit, but seeing as you asked, here's the dimensions on my T1:

For a small glove size, I have a distance between forks of 2 1/2", fork height over crook of thumb of 1 1/2", fork width of 3/4" at the bands, crook to bottom of pinkie of 2 3/4" and crook to bottom of palm of 3 5/8". I scale this to the glove size of the shooter. A large glove represents a 20% up scaling of each dimension.

In this picture, the brown catapult is for a small hand, and the other for a large hand.

These dimensions presume that the shooter will have his fingers high over the sides of the forks. If the frame is designed for a hammer grip, the hand would fit about an inch lower.

For thickness, I have made frames from this template in anything from 1/8" to 3/4". I like the thicker frames because they feel good in the hand and work well with flatbands. Then again, the thinner models slip right into a shirt pocket or disappear into a jeans' pocket.

Everyone will have different preferences and sometimes different preferences for different bandsets and shooting styles.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ZDP, I realize it is a personel choice I'm just looking for some starting point. Your info will help a lot.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts