Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear from any who have shot both 3/8 steelball and 7/16 steelball. Would like some comments on commparison between the two sizes before I place an order with Royal.

·
~Pouch Maker~
15,472 Posts
I have tried both recently 3/8(9.5mm) and 7/16(11mm). 9.5mm is good for target shooting , 11mm is good for hunting, I mean steel ball, steel not tried lead ones yet..

·
Registered
470 Posts
Lead are definitely better for hunting, they are denser. Can be the same size as steel but heavier in weight. Maybe its just me but lately, I think odd shape lead ammo is the best for hunting at close range. They deal the most damage IMHO.

·
Registered
273 Posts
no problem in taking aviansa pigeon's size with 8,6 mm lead balls (same grain as a 9,5 mm steel). The impact is devastating: entering one side and often getting out the other. Only matter is that sometime quarry can fly some distance away, before falling definitively out.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
A lot of shooters, me included, start with 3/8 and then go to 7/16. I am now shooting 1/2 inch steel Target shooting and 7/16 lead (about the same weight) hunting. Larger sizes are easier to follow in flight. Try shooting an empty pop can with different sizes and materials. It will help you make up your mind. -- Tex

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of shooters, me included, start with 3/8 and then go to 7/16. I am now shooting 1/2 inch steel Target shooting and 7/16 lead (about the same weight) hunting. Larger sizes are easier to follow in flight. Try shooting an empty pop can with different sizes and materials. It will help you make up your mind. -- Tex
If I can buy a pound of 7/16 steel I will try them. I find 3/8 a wee bit on the light side and 1/2 inch a little heavy.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
There is a reason that the order is 5 pounds. I can ship them for about $5 and reinforce the box so not to lose them in shipment. -- Tex

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a reason that the order is 5 pounds. I can ship them for about $5 and reinforce the box so not to lose them in shipment. -- Tex
Thats just fine. I already mailed a M.O. to you earlier today for 5 pounds of 7/16 shot. Till today I had not scrolled for enough on vendors list to see you sell ammo.
Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
Haha Stelug, suspected that with 6-8mm lead on larger birds like pigeons and crows. but i did used 6mm lead on starlings and sparrows at <15feet. punch thru their bodies, messy but quite clean kills. I was only using black widow with yellow tubes. Cant wait to try double flats with 120 grain irregular ammo on crows and pigeons.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Haha Stelug, suspected that with 6-8mm lead on larger birds like pigeons and crows. but i did used 6mm lead on starlings and sparrows at <15feet. punch thru their bodies, messy but quite clean kills. I was only using black widow with yellow tubes. Cant wait to try double flats with 120 grain irregular ammo on crows and pigeons.
What are you saying? I dont understand
.Cheers

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Would like to hear from any who have shot both 3/8 steelball and 7/16 steelball. Would like some comments on commparison between the two sizes before I place an order with Royal.
Been alternating back and forth on these two sizes for about a month now. The one advantage I see to using 3/8 over 7/16 is "cost per shot" - roughly 128 (3/8") vs 85 (7/16) per pound. In steel bearings there is very little difference in trajectory between the two at typical slingshot distances and of course the 7/16 will hit a little bit harder(ok, nearly twice as hard). I've decided to keep some of both on hand.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been alternating back and forth on these two sizes for about a month now. The one advantage I see to using 3/8 over 7/16 is "cost per shot" - roughly 128 (3/8") vs 85 (7/16) per pound. In steel bearings there is very little difference in trajectory between the two at typical slingshot distances and of course the 7/16 will hit a little bit harder(ok, nearly twice as hard). I've decided to keep some of both on hand.
[/quote]

Sounds good, a harder hit might be desired sometimes and if its twice as hard that does it for me it will be the 7/16.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts