Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, one of my favorite shooters is a looped Chinese frame in the "antelope" style. It's small and fits in my hand easily, but its metal so the thing weighs a good amount. It's currently wrapped in green/black leather to make it nice and fat. While it sits in the hand perfectly, it's not ideal for carrying around. It won't fit in my pockets, so the only option I have is to toss it in a backpack.

I've been thinking of removing the wraps, but wasn't sure how comfortable the frame will be underneath. I know once I do strip it down I won't be able to re-wrap it (at least not as neatly or comfortably as it is currently). So here's my question. Have any of you all ever stripped on of these down, and if so how did you like it? Did you prefer it with the wraps or did you even notice much of a difference? Thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why change your favorite shooter ? Buy a pair of cargo pants or a holster . :iono:
Haha, an excellent point! Sometimes the search for perfection becomes the enemy of good.

Reactions: KawKan and Tag

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have quite a few different styles of these frames some wrapped and some unwrapped and they are excellent little frames for sure, I'd say if its gona be more practical the go for the unwrap or if it's not that big an issue then leave it, the ball is really in you're court Haha
f12c6ae2b3266b83dc166ee5746752a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Those are pretty! It's good to see one stripped down. I wasn't sure if they would have rough edges or anything. I suppose if I did strip it and din't care for it, I'd have a good excuse to buy a second ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it if it's your favorite the way it is.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Given a choice between changing a pocket to fit a favorite slingshot or changing a favorite slingshot to fit a pocket, I agree with treefork's advice - get a bigger pocket.

One of my favorite slingshots is an A+ Kit Fox Hybrid. The slingshot frame is oversize and built for heavy tubes (Perry recommends 1/2" steel, I enjoy launching 5/8" marbles). It also has a bolt on arm brace that extends half way up the radius bone. The only part of this slingshot that fits in my pocket is the half inch wrench to adjust the bolts. I would need to break down the entire rig, remove the bandset and wear 3 pairs of cargo pants to fit it in my pockets.

I don't enjoy the weight and the restriction of shoulder movement of a backpack. With that as introduction:

Enter the haversack! AKA hunter's bag, man purse, or even camera bag. Mine's light-weight canvas with a large pocket and a small pocket. Plenty of room for my Kit Fox, fistfuls of marbles, a half inch wrench, a back-up slingshot (usually a palm-swell OTT from Mako Pat) 3/8" steel shot for my back-up slingshot, my water bottle, a sling to heave rocks, and energy bars (usually a Hershey bar, but if I am planning a long jaunt, then a Nestle's Crunch - chocolate for fast energy and rice for sustained energy) add a pocket knife and a folding saw (again thanks to Mako Pat for an Opinel No. 6 with olive scales and a hefty folding saw) a fire steel and some cotton balls - the basics for woods walking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it's a favorite, I'd say the safest thing to do would be to leave it as is, and buy a second one to experiment on.

Reactions: MikeyLikesIt

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
I love the Antelope too, have owned a few, but prefer them fully polished and unwrapped with just rubber sleeves on the fork arms. Last year I ordered a wrapped version, assuming the entire frame was polished underneath. After undressing it, to my horror it wasn't even an official 'lope but a cheaper unpolished knockoff complete with grinder scars, burns and cuts - SHREIK! I'm still searching for an old school fully polished ergo Antelope like I used to have. The rubber jacketed nylon Antelopes were quite excellent but they suddenly were taken off the market. Hopefully the good stuff will come back around.

Attachments

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hahaha. Thanks for the feedback everyone! It seems like I'm getting some consistent answers here. I actually asked my wife the same thing in bed last night (she is as interested in SS as I am in what color to paint the living room) and she was ADAMANT I don't screw with it.

That said, I feel like Pandora tempted to open the box just to see what it's like inside. I might just have to buy a second and strip it down to compare. I thought if the plain steel was too uncomfortable or slippery I could try to dip it in Plasti-Dip. I've got some of my hand tools covered in the stuff and it gives it a nice cushioned grip without being obtrusive.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
I use mine for everything right from BB's right up to 11mm Lead. I find it perfectly comfortable. Its actually fun with BB's as its fairly hefty.

I originally got an X6 clone which had wrap that obscured the loops enough to damage the tubes when trying to mount my tube sets. So I took off the wrap and never looked back. I have 2 Antelope frames - the first one was beautifully finished but the second has some buries in the pinkie hole - not enough to be an issue - but they're there. I got both mine off eBay and both were under $5US posted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts