Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,
Here is a roasted Maple natural I finished up. Absolutely love the grain and color in this one. Finished to perfection. Asking $50 for this fork. Pm if interested!

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's nice, Tony!! If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about roasting it? Most of the Maple I find is rather uneventful, it looks like you got that grain to pop pretty well!! :devil:
Thank you! I carve and rough sand my forks, then put them in the oven for about an hour at 350 F. It may take a little experimentation and trial and error to get it right, but it sure makes them look pretty. Part of the reason I like slimming the handle and giving it that slight recurve is to expose a bit more of the grain. Makes the fork much more interesting to look at :)

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,453 Posts
That's nice, Tony!! If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about roasting it? Most of the Maple I find is rather uneventful, it looks like you got that grain to pop pretty well!! :devil:
Thank you! I carve and rough sand my forks, then put them in the oven for about an hour at 350 F. It may take a little experimentation and trial and error to get it right, but it sure makes them look pretty. Part of the reason I like slimming the handle and giving it that slight recurve is to expose a bit more of the grain. Makes the fork much more interesting to look at :)
Okay Tony, so I'm roasting 3 Maple slings right now in a small toaster oven I bought, as my wife wouldn't let me do it in the big oven.
It seems to be working great, and really bringing out the grain lines well, and it smells wonderful.
One thing I'm noticing though, is where the forks are touching the metal pan, they are getting a lot darker at that point.
Do you get the same thing, and just sand that part a bit heavier before finish is applied?
Also, what finish are you using after fully sanded ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts