Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lay your eyes upon my most perfect assist-a-build to date!

This nearly perfect sling is a MattWalt design called the Mistrel that was cut, sanded, and pinned out if black canvas micarta by H.E. Norseman. I acquired two of these pocket slings in the trade of the century and went to work giving them a Mojave twist. Gratefully the SlingNerd connected me with a chunk of Zerbrawood because Gramps Walnut gunstock es no mas.

I am going to stick with BLO and a little OrangeOilWax on the Zebrawood because I think I will be smoothing edges and perfecting the fit. That and super glue makes me crazy.

A sling that is of the mind of Four Forum Members! Pretty cool for me! To honor the kharma of The Forum I have already picked a LH shooting member to adopt my LH Walnut version!

Thanks again to everyone!

Moses
355fb0543ecacf38725a199661aec512.jpg
97dd8ecdebf6c4a2872047f2d95f80cb.jpg
e0b1a1f626c1ed606d1eff831148e94f.jpg
38861ab5cbdbe73340a48f7c557a6817.jpg
b6db6d57abacf3a54cb38d7d0056d102.jpg
c2d381c3393a5847f074fe17b26c2c50.jpg
47cd258db7809971e409e41a21555b82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Mojave Mo
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow Mo that zebra one is killer buddy just the wrong hand bud haha
I don't know Zebrawood yet. I cannot decide if those little pinholes in the grain should be sanded out, or if I should BLO more, or just let in age in my hand. I like it though I am a little concerned as to how many Zebra's were used to make this wild wood!

·
Mojave Mo
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Impressive! - Do the leather tabs shift around?
Blue. Are you asking if the tabs slip? No yet. I've got them tight. The leather itself is a little stiff. I will wonder if it is too stiff after a few rounds to see if they are working against the rubber.

·
Premium Member
9,583 Posts
I don't know Zebrawood yet. I cannot decide if those little pinholes in the grain should be sanded out, or if I should BLO more, or just let in age in my hand. I like it though I am a little concerned as to how many Zebra's were used to make this wild wood!
. Zebra wood just has those little pots through and through. You can sand forever and not get them out. All has to be filled with finish. Gun stock filler works well. Nice job buddy.

·
Registered
977 Posts
. Zebra wood just has those little pots through and through. You can sand forever and not get them out. All has to be filled with finish. Gun stock filler works well. Nice job buddy.
100% true. If filler doesn't float your boat another method is to "wet sand" with whatever finishing oil you're going to use with a higher grit paper. Produces a wood slurry that fills just as well, perfect color match. Old gun stock making technique.

·
Mojave Mo
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice!! Thanks for that!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts