Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure where to put this topic, so here goes...

I have been thinking quite a lot about that Kyudo/Slingshot marriage... And as it seems to be the most natural way for me to shoot, I have been developing it as a form, in the spirit the Kyudo-styles were originally developed.

My intention is NOT to step on anyone's toes, to bastardize the great tradition of Slingshot, let alone cheapen the 800 years of Kyudo tradition.

So I checked from International Kyudo Federation, and got a provisional go-ahead from them. As I am developing this style in the spirit of Shin, Zen, Bi (Truth, Goodness, beauty) they have nothing against it. I have to present it to IKYF to get an official standing in the Federation for Sling-Do, but all in good time...

So, I know how/what to do in Kyudo circles, but know nothing of how to operate in Slingshot. My principal is to fly low, not generate unnecessary waves, make friends, not enemies!

If I can develop this style, give training videos and small camps in my Villa, PROMOTING SLINGSHOT as a sport and hobby and Sling-Do as more of a Budo(ish) discipline, I'd be very happy!

I organized a small training session, just to see what kind of an uptake I would generate. The reception was...enthusiastic, to put it mildly. Bat-shit over-the-moon-best-stuff-ever would be closer to truth.

Still, my only question is, can I do this without ruffling any feathers?? I do not need any kind of officional status from Slingshot, unless Slingshot federation feels that I need one.

Gentlemen, I beg of your insight and opinion!

Kind regards,

Silent Sky Serpent
5f276aa09a25486191234de204a1566f.jpg

Lähetetty minun SHT-AL09 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
SilentSkySerpent -

Thank you so much for this.

Your plans are fantastic.

My wife and I volunteer at a local Waldorf school's archery program. I am interested in your approach and once I learn it, I am considering incorporating it into the program. Travel to Finland is not currently realistic for me. I am very interested in your training videos.

Looking forward to more information and training opportunities.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
I think as a community, we like to see someone go to the top step and build another one. If this develops well it might be what gets us into the Olympics and other recognized events. Go For It! :headbang:

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
I like it!

And I agree with Kawkan...let's flip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for your comments and advise! I will keep you in the loop.

I will recruit 2-5 candidates for initial training. I will make a first draft of training manual based on this first group.

I will post it here for your critique and corrections.

This will be fun!!!
933df35d8ee25d2447901bef63c6dde3.jpg
7f56707481973f46a54ce914df9153e2.jpg

Lähetetty minun CLT-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
I love this idea! I've always been fascinated by archery and budo principles, but money and geography are prohibitive to these pursuits. Slingshots are about my only venue for pursuing such interests. I would be very interested to see what you come up with. Please keep us posted, and if I'm ever in... Finland? I'll be sure to pay you a visit!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all for the incouregment!

Will keep you all posted, but don't hold your breath. I have only one chance to present this idea to International Kyudo Federation, so I'd better do it right :)

There is one question, that I am struggling with, and I want and need your input.

The equipment:
- How to define the slingshot that is deemed approved? And here I am thinking competition use. We need to give all participants a level playing field. One solution would be to assing one model, equally good for OTT and TTF shooters, but how about non-traditional styles? Also, vendors wouldn't like it, if we mandate everyone to compete with SS Hammer....

We could define slingshot/band/pauch with values (distance of forks XX - ZZ mm, lenght of band etc), but it is complicated, how to define lenght of band for butterfly & half-butterfly for example.

You see the challenge. How have you solved this previously?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Sling-Do.
One life. One Shot.
Do it. Mean It!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Thanks all for the incouregment!
Will keep you all posted, but don't hold your breath. I have only one chance to present this idea to International Kyudo Federation, so I'd better do it right :)
There is one question, that I am struggling with, and I want and need your input.
The equipment:
- How to define the slingshot that is deemed approved? And here I am thinking competition use. We need to give all participants a level playing field. One solution would be to assing one model, equally good for OTT and TTF shooters, but how about non-traditional styles? Also, vendors wouldn't like it, if we mandate everyone to compete with SS Hammer....
We could define slingshot/band/pauch with values (distance of forks XX - ZZ mm, lenght of band etc), but it is complicated, how to define lenght of band for butterfly & half-butterfly for example.
Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Sling-Do.
One life. One Shot.
Do it. Mean It!
That is one of the beauties of the sport. In my opinion you can't define the particular approved slingshot if you want it to be open to everyone. It's like in the UFC, there is no one style of fighting. Its what is best and what works for you as an individual. There is only one goal and it's to hit that target whatever platform you use to reach that goal. Traditional or untraditional as long as you use elastic and a pouch. You said it yourself....One life. One Shot..Do it....Mean it...with whatever setup you choose. Bruce Lee said, "Using no way as a way and no limitation as limitation."

I'm excited with your idea and where you will take it. Thank you for the hard work you are putting into this. Anything that will push this sport but most of all the camaraderie within it has my support!

Sling On!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Interesting question:

The equipment:

If I understand correctly, there are no equipment restrictions/requirements in the tournaments that people discuss here. Basically, if it launches a projectile from a pouch powered by elastic, it is a slingshot.

This is an issue that was beaten to death on the various traditional archery forums (is a recurve with an elevated rest still a recurve? etc. etc. and etc.) This was solved with arcane rules that fill a book and numerous categories based on equipment.

Slingshot frames are so individualized that it would be impossible to categorize or arrive at rules for all the variations. I would keep it as simple as possible with a generic definition, such as "A slingshot it defined as a frame, consisting of a grip and a fork, powered by elastic which is attached to the fork, and a pouch to hold the ammunition. All ammunition must be round and made entirely from inert material." To comply with various laws that ban them, I would also prohibit wrist and arm braces, although lanyards, which are safety devices, should be permitted and encouraged. All participants should also be required to wear appropriate safety glasses or goggles. I would also prohibit shooting more than 1 round of ammo at a time.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Just recently the Spanish government decreed that the competition shooters there could only use an unfinished fork with no braces, sights or finger grooves. So something along the lines of simplicity and in the spirit of the original bows would probably be more acceptable. Ammo will probably be an agreed upon standard. Butterfly seems the most probable standard for this All else should follow the way as closely as feasible. :twocents:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good! Thank you!

I totally agree with your pov. I would be a fatal mistake to limit it too stricly (apart from legal issues). Not take an 'official' position on styles and materials. Some text to forbid certain additionals (sights, braces) some lomits to the sizes, definition of the elasticity of the band, ammo should be predefined, manufactured/arranged by the organizing body.

At this stage I don't want to get bogged down on this issue more that this. I shall focus now on the actual form of SlingDo. I wanted to get a common understanding on basics of the competition rules for the Olympic Committee. That is one of my personal goals. Get SlingDo (and by extension slingshot) elevated to the level of archery :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting question:

The equipment:

If I understand correctly, there are no equipment restrictions/requirements in the tournaments that people discuss here. Basically, if it launches a projectile from a pouch powered by elastic, it is a slingshot.

This is an issue that was beaten to death on the various traditional archery forums (is a recurve with an elevated rest still a recurve? etc. etc. and etc.) This was solved with arcane rules that fill a book and numerous categories based on equipment.

Slingshot frames are so individualized that it would be impossible to categorize or arrive at rules for all the variations. I would keep it as simple as possible with a generic definition, such as "A slingshot it defined as a frame, consisting of a grip and a fork, powered by elastic which is attached to the fork, and a pouch to hold the ammunition. All ammunition must be round and made entirely from inert material." To comply with various laws that ban them, I would also prohibit wrist and arm braces, although lanyards, which are safety devices, should be permitted and encouraged. All participants should also be required to wear appropriate safety glasses or goggles. I would also prohibit shooting more than 1 round of ammo at a time.
This is very much the style and attitude I want to follow. Thank you again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts