Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a trade with Blue Raja, and he sent me several slings in the mail. Two had pouches of a seatbelt material (very durable), but I wanted to share the woven one. He utilized multi-colored twine of some sort to weave a pouch, and attached it to paracord strings. Not only is the thing well made, it's absolutely beautiful to look at! I've used slings in the past, usually of my own rudimentary design. They occasionally had fliers that would leave the pouch prematurely. Not this thing. The pouch is cupped for ammo retention, but soft enough to get a clean release. I took about 20+ throws at my local park yesterday and filmed some of the results.

Forgive the poor form. My shoulder is weak from a prior injury, so I really phoned it in with effort. Nonetheless, I was getting 50-60 yards distance with golf ball sized stones with almost no effort! This will definitely keep me busy on those days when it's too cold for rubber slinging.

BTW - I really suck at technology. If you can't click on the link, just copy and paste it in your search bar. I had to type it in by hand...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
MLI -

Glad you like it! Thank you for the compliments. Head over to slinging.org for advice, questions, how-to's, and sling history.

You actually have very good form and you are correct to start slowly and let the sling do the work. Experienced slingers describe something called a lag. You generate power by slowing your spin slightly and then whipping into it. Hard to describe but you will understand it once you feel it. That is a distance sling, designed for golf balls (and golf ball sized ammo) it is a bit longer than most. You handle it really well. I just started making slings for tennis balls for use on Frisbee golf courses. Let me know if you would like to try one (nothing special - just a seatbelt sling).

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds awesome! Do you use the sling for teeing off, and then a large slingshot for the short game? At this moment I'd be lucky if I could put a ball on the fairway, but it's an intriguing concept. And yeah, I think I know what you're referencing with lag. It sort of reminds me on throwing a baseball, the whipping motion of the elbow and forearm at the last moment. I've heard some people can actually hunt with these things. I'll be happy if I can manage to hit a stop sign though.

Reactions: hoggy

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
For Frisbee golf, I play the entire round w/ a sling and a tennis ball.

Slingshot golf is an entirely different matter - there is (or was) actually an organization that supported slingshot golf for mobility impaired people. The idea is to launch the golf ball w/ a slingshot and when you get to the hole, there is a clamp on a swing (this is really hard to describe) that holds the putter and you line it up and pull it back to hit the ball. People with sufficient arm and hand mobility use the slingshot and those that lack the ability play with an able bodied partner and direct the angle and the amount of draw. The organization seems to be defunct. I contacted some of the local disabled golf organizations, but they are all about selling expensive modified golf carts and did not want to talk to me.

My son's godfather gave me a custom slingshot from Perry at A+ Slingshots that is designed for golf. It is too cold here to get any distance out of it, but it is very accurate. I fool around with it when we get warm weather and I will take it to a driving range in the Spring. I plan on using the slingshot to get off the tee, a sling for the approach, and then a putter. My son is an avid golfer and I am terrible at it. He and his fiance belong to a private club in Nebraska and I am allowed to play slingshot golf starting in the late afternoon, when everyone else is in the bar.

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, I love that! I tried playing gold one summer about 10 years ago, and got turned off by some of the attitudes at the clubhouse. I like that you're able to get out there with some slingshots and play a few rounds with your son. This is a little off topic, but there is a Youtube channel called "Dude Perfect". They do trick shots involving sports, and play a game of All Sports Golf where they utilize different sports equipment to play a hole. When it gets warmer I may try some of this frisbee golf with a sling. It's sounding more appealing the more I think about it.

Reactions: hoggy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts