Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a couple of frames and a set of bands from Renegade Shooter last week in the mail! I meant to post some pics sooner, but I've been out of town the whole week. I had been complaining of the shortcomings of mass produced slingshots and tubes, and RS was kind enough to send me some samples to try out. The green frame is a boardcut (plywood?) with a nice finish on it and a cool alien green color. The black one is solid plastic of some sort. Both are super comfortable in the hand, and easy to use with my preferred grip (finger and thumb bracing the forks). The bands are probably the best part though! Prior to this I've been using tourniquet bands I swiped from the phlebotomy lab at work. They don't have latex and wear out real quick. These gold/tan ones are great though! I've been using 1/2" glass marbles and this setup sends them flying downrange! Once this KY weather mellows a bit I'm gonna put some real time on them and see if I can't make some tin cans dance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Well, this is weird. Mrs. Raja is a phlebotomist and I liberated some of her tourniquet bands, a few of which were sent to Renegade Shooter (along w/ some other stuff) to thank him for sending me a frame to get started. I figured that if all else fails, he might be able to slice them up for banding strips, or use them as grip wraps.

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, this is weird. Mrs. Raja is a phlebotomist and I liberated some of her tourniquet bands, a few of which were sent to Renegade Shooter (along w/ some other stuff) to thank him for sending me a frame to get started. I figured that if all else fails, he might be able to slice them up for banding strips, or use them as grip wraps.
Hahaha. They're not bad! I used them to lob marbles for 50+ shots, but the ones my hospital uses stretch out pretty quick. I think they'd be great for banding strips, and they're still not bad. Up until his package I've been using them and chained #64 bands, and those Barnett tubes. We make do with what we have!

Reactions: KawKan

·
Banned
193 Posts
That green wood frame is one I bought on eBay from Biker Mike. I got the HDPE frame on the forum. Those are TheraBand Gold 1 1/4" bands also from eBay sold by US Slingshots. I like those wide bands, they do the job quite well.

As for those fleabottomist bands from Blue Raja, they went on one of my Pocket Predator HTS frames and I have come to believe that I now prefer the longer bands than what comes on most slingshots. Those blue bands don't stretch out like TBG but they get the job done. He sent me three of them so I will do as suggested and cut the third one into strips to try out as band to fork ties.

Blue Raja also more importantly sent me a hand loom braided sling with purple paracord strings. It is a classic and if anyone wants to take up sling throwing Blue Raja is the go to man if you want one with a touch of class.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thank you, RS. Slinging with a shepherd's sling can be challenging. There is a learning curve, but it is very rewarding once you get the trick. Also, you have unlimited ammo!

If anyone is interested in one, PM me and we can discuss a trade.

MLI - PM me w/ your address. I owe you a shepherd's sling for hijacking your thread!

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
I tried a shepherd sling once or twice and was able to get the projectile to go pretty much any direction except the one I was trying for...
Always seemed like a blast once you figured it out, though.
I could be wrong but I think the black frame is a Simple-Shot Chatelaine, which is definitely "old new school". It's one of my favorite big frames.

·
955 Posts
Devil's Son in Law - I would if I could! It's a mental hospital, so the only therapy we do involves couches and group sessions.

Reactions: KawKan

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blue Raja, for sure! But only if I can hook you up with something in return. I actually used to make my own slings, but had to stop when I sent one behind me into my truck door. It is great fun to send some stones flying though.

·
955 Posts
Matt Walt - Yeah, I can't wait to band it up and get some time with them. The weather here has been rainy and consistently 40F, so not a lot of room for outdoor fun. That black one is wickedly comfortable to hold and aim with.

·
Ray Rowden
2,464 Posts
I used to love tourniquet bands. But so many medical organizations have gone latex free that they have become very dicey.

The last pack of "allegedly" latex tourniquet bands I bought were dead on arrival. Maxed out at about 300 percent stretch, with very little snap. Now I rely on bulk .030 latex. Hat tip to Simple-Shot!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts