Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a package the other day from Tag, completely out of the blue. It's a metal frame (aluminum maybe?) and a set of smart ties. The frame is an amazing shape and weight, fitting in my hand perfectly. I'm already imagining how I can finish it! So a big thank you to Tag, for giving me some awesome materials I would never get on my own. It's gonna be a cold couple months and this will give me the chance to stretch my talents as a builder.

Now I need some suggestions. I was just getting the hang of board cuts (I went and got proper jigsaw blades and a rasp for Christmas). How does one go about finishing this type of frame? I'm imagining you could just file and polish the metal, but I liked the idea of putting some scales on there, maybe with a fat palm swell. Do you attach wood to metal with an epoxy? I'm in the dark here people, so give me some ideas!

Thanks again to Tag. He has been super welcoming since I showed up here, and his generosity is touching. I don't know if amazing people are drawn to slingshots or they bring something special out of the ones who use them, but the world could use more people like that.

Attachments

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
Nice frame!
You could attach scales with epoxy. Maybe think about some pins, too.
To finish it you need nothing but a file and some sandpaper. No powertool needed exept you like to pin the scales.
I would just add some g10 or micarta scales with pins and epoxy or maybe just finish the metal frame.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
There are so many things that can be done with an aluminum core. That being said, there are definitely some options that are simpler. I always recommend pins of some sort, internal or visible. The main thing that causes delamination is differential expansion. Metals change shape a lot with temperature while many other materials do not. Wood has a bad habit of changing shape based on the moisture fluctuation. The secret is to laminate materials that have similar expansion properties.

Further still, sanding metals yields a lot of black dust/paste that is murder to get out of porous materials such as wood. There are ways to minimize this problem but they all involve very complicated processes and tools (pressure or vacuum treating the wood with resin type of thing). I have tried many a cheap way with limited success.

Hope that gets you started.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Nice!

I am no where near BigDH's level of makery.

That said I have one bit of advice. If you put scales on it sand the sides (at least) aluminium to the desired finish prior. Once the scales are on there is no easy or simple way to get that dust out of the wood.

Also- do you have a drill press?

Paracord wraps are a great minimalist way to finish anything with a handle and provide cordage later if necessity arises. Covert5 sent me 2 super cool Turk's Head knots with Firecord. That is 2 of the 5 C's of survival.
Cutting
Cordage
Combustion
Container
Cover

Please keep us posted.

·
Amateur
2,571 Posts
Tag is a great ambassador for our hobby, and an extremely generous human being. One of the many, many people and things that makes this forum so special.

I still need to decide what to do with the core I have, and then find the time to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Nice!

I am no where near BigDH's level of makery.

That said I have one bit of advice. If you put scales on it sand the sides (at least) aluminium to the desired finish prior. Once the scales are on there is no easy or simple way to get that dust out of the wood.

Also- do you have a drill press?

Paracord wraps are a great minimalist way to finish anything with a handle and provide cordage later if necessity arises. Covert5 sent me 2 super cool Turk's Head knots with Firecord. That is 2 of the 5 C's of survival.
Cutting
Cordage
Combustion
Container
Cover

Please keep us posted.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys! I don't have a drill press, just standard hand/power tools. I might have a friend who could let me use his drill press though. I'll read up on the scale attachment methods, and good looking on the aluminum dust clogging the wood pores. I'd hate to put all that work in and get an ugly product. I'll be sure to show you guys the finished product when I get it done!

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
i have been meaning to do something with the one Tag sent me,but i banded it up,just for a test,and have been having Way to much fun with it as is.i willeventually do something though,,,,,,,,,,maybe :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts