Slingshots Forum banner

Slingmail! My Christmas Giveaway prize prototype arrived!

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  MOJAVE MO 
#1 ·
Well I just got in from shooting the Pocket Predator Hunter 2020 prototype that Bill Hays gave away in his Christmas drawing. Well, actually, I took a couple minutes to pull the bands off and rub a little BLO into it. Thought I'd make these notes while it dried.

Plant community Leaf Grass Wood Electric blue

Bottom line: this slingshot is very comfortable, shoots where I aim it, and appears to be nearly bullet-proof. Bill stressed in the Give-away that these slingshots were prototypes and would not be finished to his production standards, but the workmanship is excellent.

At 3-½" wide and 5 inches in overall length,this slingshot is about the size of the Topshot, which I shoot often. The handle is similar in profile, but is different in both the angle and profile. More refined, I would say.

This prototype version features a larger thumbpad than the models that ended up in production. Using the thumbpad looks like an option on the production models, but it's the only way I can hold the prototype. And it makes for a very comfortable and secure grip. Interesting thought, though: using the thumb rest eliminates the hand stretch needed to grip some wide slingshots.

Revolver Wood Bicycle part Gun barrel Personal protective equipment

Since the prototype was made in the ½" G-10, I was able to answer one question I had from looking at the Hunter 2020 on the Pocket Predator website. While the ¾" versions are tempting, the ½-incher has plenty of room for the ergo-sculpting. And since I favor thinner lighter slingshots anyway, that would probably be my choice. The G-10 offers plenty of heft, even in the thinner version.

I wasn't looking for a slingshot with a thumb rest, but I enjoyed shooting this one. And I think I will keep enjoying it for quite a while!

Thanks again to Pocket Predator and Bill and Daranda Hays! The drawing really brightened up the month of December, and now shooting this slingshot is a great joy!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hopefully it will be there soon!

I know mine sat in Dallas for two days then KC (26 miles away) for two days longer.

I had a piece of letter mail take 3 weeks to get to the east coast. USPS is floundering!

I still haven't received mine from the giveaway and I've messaged Bill.

#6 ·

I know mine sat in Dallas for two days then KC (26 miles away) for two days longer.

I had a piece of letter mail take 3 weeks to get to the east coast. USPS is floundering!

they sent mine to Mass. then to the west cost took about three weeks

#9 ·
I got the 2020 hunter in3/4 black and have shot it 7 days in a row fits my hand perfectly and the thumb rest allows me to shoot for longer sessions. My arthritic hands think it's great as I usually shoot thinner frames.The boyshot is also a favorite but I think the hunter will get more use !

#11 ·

It arrived today!!! Haven't shot it yet but getting ready to.

#12 ·

It arrived today!!! Haven't shot it yet but getting ready to.

#13 ·
Well I just got in from shooting the Pocket Predator Hunter 2020 prototype that Bill Hays gave away in his Christmas drawing. Well, actually, I took a couple minutes to pull the bands off and rub a little BLO into it. Thought I'd make these notes while it dried.
attachicon.gif
HunterGrip.JPG
Bottom line: this slingshot is very comfortable, shoots where I aim it, and appears to be nearly bullet-proof. Bill stressed in the Give-away that these slingshots were prototypes and would not be finished to his production standards, but the workmanship is excellent.
At 3-½" wide and 5 inches in overall length,this slingshot is about the size of the Topshot, which I shoot often. The handle is similar in profile, but is different in both the angle and profile. More refined, I would say.
This prototype version features a larger thumbpad than the models that ended up in production. Using the thumbpad looks like an option on the production models, but it's the only way I can hold the prototype. And it makes for a very comfortable and secure grip. Interesting thought, though: using the thumb rest eliminates the hand stretch needed to grip some wide slingshots.
attachicon.gif
Hunter-logo.JPG
Since the prototype was made in the ½" G-10, I was able to answer one question I had from looking at the Hunter 2020 on the Pocket Predator website. While the ¾" versions are tempting, the ½-incher has plenty of room for the ergo-sculpting. And since I favor thinner lighter slingshots anyway, that would probably be my choice. The G-10 offers plenty of heft, even in the thinner version.
I wasn't looking for a slingshot with a thumb rest, but I enjoyed shooting this one. And I think I will keep enjoying it for quite a while!
Thanks again to Pocket Predator and Bill and Daranda Hays! The drawing really brightened up the month of December, and now shooting this slingshot is a great joy!
That's a great looking catty & a fantastic gift, but isn't that prototype left hand draw?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

#14 ·
attachicon.gif
HunterGrip.JPG
attachicon.gif
Hunter-logo.JPG
That's a great looking catty & a fantastic gift, but isn't that prototype left hand draw?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
It's ambidextrous. That wide section is contoured for a thumb on both sides.

The production models can also be held in either hand.

#15 ·
Dang, Mo, your dad was a smart guy!

I tend to use BLO on about everything, also. That includes the micarta I've used for slingshots. It made the G10 darker and shiney. It dries hard, isn't sticky, and lasts a long time.

Bill gave away two protypes of this version. I got the one that looks gray in the photo. It's black now!

Gesture Grey Sculpture Glove Wood

Tru-Oil is my other go to treatment. It's even shinier. And it doesn't darken wood like BLO. I like it on cedar for that reason. If I want wood dark and shiny, I'll use both - BLO first, followed by Tru-Oil.

Hey KK!------Please educate me on 'rubbing a little BLO' into the g10. I am very familiar with this magical elixir growing up on a Dairy Farm where my Pops put it on anything metal and any piece of wood going into the ground, What is the story?!

Attachments

#17 ·
Dang, Mo, your dad was a smart guy!

I tend to use BLO on about everything, also. That includes the micarta I've used for slingshots. It made the G10 darker and shiney. It dries hard, isn't sticky, and lasts a long time.

Bill gave away two protypes of this version. I got the one that looks gray in the photo. It's black now!

attachicon.gif
HaysHunterPrototype.jpg

Tru-Oil is my other go to treatment. It's even shinier. And it doesn't darken wood like BLO. I like it on cedar for that reason. If I want wood dark and shiny, I'll use both - BLO first, followed by Tru-Oil.

Hey KK!------Please educate me on 'rubbing a little BLO' into the g10. I am very familiar with this magical elixir growing up on a Dairy Farm where my Pops put it on anything metal and any piece of wood going into the ground, What is the story?!
Whoa! I had no idea! Now I want to un-tape my g10's and give em' a BLO rubdown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.