Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a couple of slings for my grandkids. One is five and one is six. There are A LOT OF GREAT MAKERS AND USERS ON THIS FORUM, so I would like some input. What would be a nice sling for me to get for the little ones. They have never shot before and I myself am just re-learning. I have only been on the forum just over a week. I want to teach them...thanks in advance for your input.

Sofreto

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
It would be really nice if you made them. I made all my grandkids slingshots.
Check through the forum, you'll find posts on how to.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
i would look around the vendors section, once you find something you like contact that vendor and than be specific in your needs, you might get an idea of their draw length also so you can get closer to their needs. good luck

·
Philly
2,595 Posts
Yup, make your own, naturals are great for kids. Let them help with the debark and sanding. They can paint them any color they want. Make it a family thing, something they will remember always. I still remember my Tio Angel helping us kids make our own some 60 years ago. Wish i still had mine.
Philly

Reactions: leon13

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Yup, make your own, naturals are great for kids. Let them help with the debark and sanding. They can paint them any color they want. Make it a family thing, something they will remember always. I still remember my Tio Angel helping us kids make our own some 60 years ago. Wish i still had mine.
Philly
darn good idea philly!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts

Check out the pink one i made for my 6yro, its a pistol grip style and i put 1/2x7in TBG on it for her, she shoots great with it!! I cant remember the originator of the pattern, if anyone knows please chime in

·
Banned
276 Posts
Flatland has a model for kids. I forget what it's called but it's really nice and was thinking of getting one for my 4 year old. My 8 year old is going to be using my Barnett diablo from now on when he shoots.

I'd seriously look at Garys kid model though. It's really nice.

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
1,014 Posts
All three of my kids have had many different slingshots over the years. Some I made and they just adopt till the next one they like better comes along, and some they helped build (mostly my boys who are a little older (7 and 9)) My Daughter is 4 and shoots regularly.

One suggestion for a kids first slingshot is to find some way to rig up a lanyard from the butt of the slingshot around their wrist, so that if they let the frame slip, it doesn't end up in their face. It don't have to be fancy, but is a big safety feature.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My six year old grandson was gifted one of Tom's famous "Bunnybuster" models last year by Tom himself, and he's been shooting enthusiastically ever since! The kids especially love the Bunnybuster logo, which appears on every one of their slingshots! This year at the ECST, as Kenny mentioned, Flatband Gary had a wonderful "My First Slingshot" model for kids, which he gave to little Andraes, and the l'il tyke shot hard, nonstop for the 3 days of the event! So definately start em early,have em shoot often, and as Philly says,also get em into building their own!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All right, all right, all right...we need to build them...I do not know how I missed that. I think we are doing more than a slingshot here, as Philly said...we are building memories. So first step is a day in the woods (woods in Southern California?) We will take a day trip and go forkin, then we will get into the basics of making the sling.

I appreciate everyone's comments and look forward to working with my grandchildren to have them enjoy the sport

Thanks,

Sofreto

Do I use living (sap) wood or dead wood? Is this a dumb question? I think I should use living (sap wood)

·
Banned
276 Posts
All right, all right, all right...we need to build them...I do not know how I missed that. I think we are doing more than a slingshot here, as Philly said...we are building memories. So first step is a day in the woods (woods in Southern California?) We will take a day trip and go forkin, then we will get into the basics of making the sling.

I appreciate everyone's comments and look forward to working with my grandchildren to have them enjoy the sport

Thanks,

Sofreto

Do I use living (sap) wood or dead wood? Is this a dumb question? I think I should use living (sap wood)
I try to take stuff that's alive and let it dry out.

If you're in South Cali, duct tape 2 coat hangers together, chain up some rubber bands and you're ready to go

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts

Thanks,

Sofreto

theres a lot of forest in california . lot of country trees also like dogwood and mesquite . and parks with fallen limbs from trees .

·
Super Moderator
6,633 Posts
That's the way to go Sofreto. Like Philly said, it's the whole process you are sharing. The searching for the fork,the cutting down, the shaping,the finish work, the banding and then finally the best part,safety glasses and shooting!!!!!!!!!! Yes Safety glasses first-then shooting. It is an adventure they will never forget. DO IT!!!!! Flatband

1 - 14 of 14 Posts