Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting my new Black Walnut Ergo slingshot Butterfly stye, with double blue therabands. Really to hard to pull for me. I caught a fork hit with a clay (kitty litter) ball. I thought it looked cool, so video below. I changed to single blue bands later in the day and it was much more fun to shoot.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
No shooting glasses!

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Shootin Gangstha Style has a higher than usual probability of producing Fork Hits. So does haveing the Forks Too Wide. And you were not wearing a glove and shooting glasses.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,144 Posts
Great idea to show the slow motion video of the fork hit! I enjoyed the cool explosion!

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
Shootin Gangstha Style has a higher than usual probability of producing Fork Hits. So does haveing the Forks Too Wide. And you were not wearing a glove and shooting glasses.
Spesking of shooting gloves. Can anyone recommend one? I havent been able to fins anything really.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I should use glasses. I noticed when I watched the slow motion I could see where I misaligned the bands just before release. Lighter bands have helped, I shot for an hour later in the day, no fork hits.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Spesking of shooting gloves. Can anyone recommend one? I havent been able to fins anything really.
[/quote]

i have tried an old pair of motocrosse gloves and it worked pretty good. but i dont get alot of hand slap so i dont use it alot

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
He(unlike some people) is a grown man, it's up to him to wear safety glasses and gloves. He can smoke crack and fly the space shuttle if he wants to, just as long as he's aware of the potential consequences.
most people do not wear glasses when they shoot. i will admit i have never wore glasses to shoot. its just something i have never done

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
REAL COOL EXPLOSION! Glad to see you weren't injured in your eye or any where else.Singles for me with Butterfly! Flatband

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
He(unlike some people) is a grown man
I think Sam was trying to be helpful. I'm always happy when my kids remind me to fasten my seatbelt (or remind me not to smoke crack on the way to the launch pad
). Taking risks is indeed something we learn not to do as we go through life. I have scars from motorcycle accidents, a bad shoulder from years of skydiving, and once got a pot of steel stuck through the middle of my eye because I wasn't wearing glasses. That a youngster knows not to do them is a good thing.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
He(unlike some people) is a grown man, it's up to him to wear safety glasses and gloves. He can smoke crack and fly the space shuttle if he wants to, just as long as he's aware of the potential consequences.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
The butterfly term for shooting is new and I like it, but the style has been around for a long time. I do think that you get more hits on forks and fingers with low and narrow forks. I have this opinion because observation. Just because you have shot for awhile without a fork hit does not mean that it will not happen. Just because you have shot for awhile without getting hit in the eye, does not mean that it will not happen. It only takes once to permanently damage an eye or finger. I have known several very good flip shooters and every one of them have shot their self sometime by the shot hanging in the pouch. There are 5 main styles of shooting, the standard cheek lock out, the semi-butterfly, the full butterfly, the instinctive and the flip. There are also combinations of these. From what I have observed, probably the safest of all the styles is the standard cheek lock out. With any style that you choose try to understand the dangers that might happen and protect yourself as best you can. Always wear safety glasses above all else. If you shoot yourself in the hand you will probably recover, but please don't take a chance on your eyes. -- Tex

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Tex, you are always grounded to the trunk of the tree with Logic and good Horse sence. Just think on this, why not theoretcally correct with more narrow forks guiding more preciesly the projectile. Since I have gone to narrow forks (the most narrow being 3/4 inch space) the fork hits have been eliminated all together. I also hold my shooters at a minimum 15 degree angel forward. This has produced increased hits to targets. But, perhaps in time I will be proven wrong. Tex, I always value and appreciate your comments and opinions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.