Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded a chart, on the weight of steel bearing ammo, that was posted here about 8 years ago. As I examined the chart, I saw the weights were all way off! They weren't even close, lol! So, I found an accurate chart and compared the weights to ammo I had on hand. I used an accurate scale, and the weights I got were very close to those on the chart. Just like with bullets, I found a slight variation from bearing to bearing. Not enough to notice for my shooting. I thought some people might be interested in ammo weight, as it shows you how much weight you're gaining or losing as you change ammo size. I assume someone has posted this info. before, maybe many times, but they might not have included marbles Walmart sells:

1/4" = 1.050 grams or 16.2 grains

5/16" = 2.051 grams or 31.6 grains

11/32" = 2.73 grams or 42.1 grains

3/8" = 3.544 grams or 54.69 grains

7/16" = 5.628 grams or 86.85 grains

1/2" = 8.402 grams or 129.66 grains

1/2 white Daisy marbles = 2.77 grams or 43 grains

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My fault here, lol! The 1st chart you posted is right on, and I thought it was way off! I didn't see it was for glass in the first column! I was thinking they were listing weights for steel. No need for my weights given here folks! We have the charts, lol! Anyway, I decided 1/4" is no go except for super light bands. I moved up to 5/16" at the lightest. I also like 7/16" over 3/8".

Joe

·
Neophyte
2,113 Posts
I downloaded a chart, on the weight of steel bearing ammo, that was posted here about 8 years ago. As I examined the chart, I saw the weights were all way off! They weren't even close, lol! So, I found an accurate chart and compared the weights to ammo I had on hand. I used an accurate scale, and the weights I got were very close to those on the chart. Just like with bullets, I found a slight variation from bearing to bearing. Not enough to notice for my shooting. I thought some people might be interested in ammo weight, as it shows you how much weight you're gaining or losing as you change ammo size. I assume someone has posted this info. before, maybe many times, but they might not have included marbles Walmart sells:

1/4" = 1.050 grams or 16.2 grains

5/16" = 2.051 grams or 31.6 grains

11/32" = 2.73 grams or 42.1 grains

3/8" = 3.544 grams or 54.69 grains

7/16" = 5.628 grams or 86.85 grains

1/2" = 8.402 grams or 129.66 grains

1/2 white Daisy marbles = 2.77 grams or 43 grains
Thanks for taking the time to weigh out the ammo :) It is neat that your measurements are in line with the charts, doesn't hurt to double check the charts. thanks again :)

·
Konrad
366 Posts
Good for you Frisky. It is addictive in a good way. May your aim be true and I hope you have lot's of fun.

What would be comprehensive is if some one found the Ballistics coefficient for all these rounds. Here are some from another post for leads.

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/33831-ballistic-coefficient/?p=441693

Round Ball BC chart from Lyman's Black Powder Handbook
==============================================

[mm] Caliber BC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
8.1026mm .319cal .045

8.89mm .350cal .049

9.525mm .375cal .053

11.176mm .440cal .062

11.303mm .445cal .063

11.4554mm .451cal .064

11.6078mm .457cal .064

12.573mm .495cal .070

13.589mm .535cal .075

14.2748mm .562cal .079

18.669mm .735cal .104

Posted by Tremo.

Especially for the G100 grade steels as the slingshot rifles come our way.

·
Super Moderator
1,836 Posts
I guess the only thing I like about 1/4" steel is it's disposable. I love walking along the river and pinking. 1/4" is so cheap, I just shoot away. Of course, I do the same with 3/8". It's all fairly cheap. I guess it really is the poor man's shooting sport!

Joe
The low $ nature is a small part of the attraction for me. Of course just shooting is the major attraction. I also love archery but comparing the price of a nice bow vs a nice slingshot frame... And especially comparing the price of a lost or broken arrow to even 100 steel balls... Love them both but the slingshot is a big winner on the $ side. I also have a hard time getting the bow in my pocket just in case I get a few spare minutes to plink!

·
aka CYBORG
1,940 Posts
Here are two charts.

Some of favorite slingshot pictures :thumbsup:

monthly-09-2012-ammunition.png
Ammo-weight-chart-v8.png

I found that the 8mm steel was very close to other sources, Joerg Sprave's band calculator. It is accurate enough data to hit a coke can at 46 yards with Chair gun pro very consistently.
Timely - a friend and I were just having an extensive discussion about this. Thanks, they're now in my downloads.

·
Konrad
366 Posts
I guess the only thing I like about 1/4" steel is it's disposable. I love walking along the river and pinking. 1/4" is so cheap, I just shoot away. Of course, I do the same with 3/8". It's all fairly cheap. I guess it really is the poor man's shooting sport!

Joe
The low $ nature is a small part of the attraction for me. Of course just shooting is the major attraction. I also love archery but comparing the price of a nice bow vs a nice slingshot frame... And especially comparing the price of a lost or broken arrow to even 100 steel balls... Love them both but the slingshot is a big winner on the $ side. I also have a hard time getting the bow in my pocket just in case I get a few spare minutes to plink!
High desert flipper,

That is one of the very reasons I got into this, Arrows can get very expensive. Much more than a firearm ammo. It would have been even cheaper with leads but they curve ball over 12 yards. G100 grade balls are the a way to go over 12 yards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.