Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Konrad
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was sorting out my slingshot stuff and I found it amusing to see all the different band tying material and methods I had used. It was a long and frustrating process to finally find what worked for my setup.

I would say it's a matter of the right tool for the right job. Thin and light band making material is just fine with light bands. For my setup 50x20x1mm Sheshou guru, I needed something that was light and strong.

Here is a list of the materials in the picture. Starting from top left to right.
Green World Textile Organism Font

1) 0.5mm crystal string.
2) 0.5mm crystal thread.
3) Fly fishing braided line. For cuffs. Very sharp and band life was bad.
4) Butchers twine. For cuffs. Not strong enough for heavy bands.
5) Builders chalk line. This was the best for cuffs. I waxed it. Some people also use leather working thread but none was near me. Thankyou Rayshot.
6) Hemp twine. Rubbish, weak.
7) 0.7mm Jelly string for jewellery making. This a good stuff. I have five rolls of assorted sizes. Good for a emergency supply.
8) 1.5mm Crystal string. This is the winner here for my setup. I stretch it a few times before I tying in. Strong, light and cheap.
9) 1.5mm Stretch magic. I bought this before the one above. Really good also. The only problem with this is its expensive compared to the rest.
10) Amber tape. Too weak for my needs.
11) The good old wrap and tuck used by the Legendary Game Keeper John. Thin strips of TheraBand gold. Too heavy for me.
12) Cuffed constrictor knot. There is a piece of slingshot rubber tube, combined with the chalk line and a constrictor knot. Very strong and long lasting but too heavy.
13) 1.5mm Crystal string using a form of wrap and tuck. It is wrapped on like you would do on fishing rod guide rings line when rod building (parallel, neat and tight). Similar to as seen on the slingshot shooting YouTube channel. I used 3 wraps then the fishing line loop then 3 wraps again.

I apologise to anyone who might be offended, but as I said it is a matter of the right tool for the right job. Jeez it was a bit of a odyssey to finally get it sorted for my setup. Whew, now I can put this stuff away.

Salutations.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with both of you, i also tried discarded latex strips, cotton twine, amber belt, crystal string and finally ended up with amber belt, works great for pouch tying as well as tying the bands to the fork, plenty strong for both tasks in my opinion and lasts a long time, i even reuse the fork/band attatchment several times with great results.
But again,just my own experience!

Thanks for the review @Konrad

·
Konrad
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slingshot rifle

I agree StringSlap. I have been thinking long and hard about chained bands and the way the world is headed.

What a great forum. A couple of years ago I hadn't even heard of TheraBand gold. I posted in case someone want to reverse engineer the factory band I got.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Slingshot rifle

I agree StringSlap. I have been thinking long and hard about chained bands and the way the world is headed.

What a great forum. A couple of years ago I hadn't even heard of TheraBand gold. I posted in case someone want to reverse engineer the factory band I got.
I wasn't even thinking of chained bands, just what's needed to secure your pouches and bands to frame, but you're right that you could get away with the fancy elastic as well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts