Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished, minus the fabric and I bought some foam for the back. Made out of 3/4 plywood. The paint is just paint we had lying around from a couple of older projects, but I suppose it looks pretty good if I want to start a circus act or am feeling patriotic. :)

I did manage to finish it with the foam and fabric but it was too late to take pictures so I thought this might be the best one to show off.

I used 2 peices of 1/2" PVC to hang the fabric and slow the ammo before it hits the foam. I also used a piece of 1/2" PVC as can be seen in the picture to hang the targets. Well I built it and a few shots later and the PVC pretty well blew apart. So I'm going to use paracord and a spring for tension. Should work unless someone has a better idea? The PVC was a definite bad idea.

Attachments

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Nice looking catch box. What are the detentions ? How deep is it? I also have had good luck using 1/4" steel rods.I have also used 1/2" copper pipe which I happened to have laying around the shop. 3/4" plywood is pretty heavy. I don't think you'll be shooting through that.

My catch box does triple duty for slingshots, blowgun and pellet gun.

GP

·
Registered
817 Posts
Been using paracord for some time after blowing everything else apart it last a long time and I like the twang when I hit it head on.

Reactions: lycosa

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been using paracord for some time after blowing everything else apart it last a long time and I like the twang when I hit it head on.
I've got an idea to keep the paracord tight. I have a pretty decent spring that I'm going to attach to a threaded rod and tie the paracord to the spring and put it through the holes i had the PVC in and tie it nice and tight across the box with some spinner targets on the paracord. I believe that'll work and a dead shot on the paracord will be absorbed by the paracord and the spring. At least it's making sense in my head. :)

Nice looking catch box. What are the detentions ? How deep is it? I also have had good luck using 1/4" steel rods.I have also used 1/2" copper pipe which I happened to have laying around the shop. 3/4" plywood is pretty heavy. I don't think you'll be shooting through that.

My catch box does triple duty for slingshots, blowgun and pellet gun.

GP
I wanted to build it like a tank and I think I accomplished that. I have 2 layers of fabric and 2 - 3" of memory foam behind that. I think that'll be plenty enough to stop most shots and last night it did great with 1/2" marbles I was chucking at it. The dimensions of the catch box are 30" wide and 18" tall. I think I'm going to build it up a bit more. Thinking having the catchbox off the ground maybe 2 feet will make plinking at it a little better. I already put a set of old lawnmower wheels that I had lying in the shed on it so I can wheel it around and keep it out of the weather when I'm not using it. It's a bit on the heavy side moving it around so I might be back in the shed to build a stand for it. Wishing I had some bicycle wheels like some lawnmowers have. That would make it a bit easier to move. Still thinking. :hmm:

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Now that is swanky!

Thanks for sharing.

Does it have lights?

Reactions: lycosa
1 - 10 of 10 Posts