Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow shooters,

I shot a little video expressing my opinions on the changing climate within our community. The video is about 14 minutes long, and I did my best to condense my opinions into as short a time frame as I could. This is half scripted so I did my best to keep it fluid. If you could please take a moment to view the video and share your thoughts & opinions, I would greatly appreciate it. It has to do with the expansion of our hobby / sport into a broader mainstream audience & my concerns regardig such changes. I have a few opinions that I would really* value your feedback on. You guys are the real experts on how you feel how about such topics, no-one can voice your opinion for you but you! Any questions or clarifications just ask - I'm an open book!

Thank you very much for your time, I know how rare & valuable any time to ourselves can be!

Stay safe guys & God bless. :)

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
My YouTube doesn't work so good down here, can you post some bullet points?
I'm interested in what you have to say, it's just not practical for me to watch a long video.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I feel you do have some legitimate concerns,the new youth/millemial/snowflake generation seems to be scared to death of anything outside their comfort zone [including words] and want it regulated/done away with/PC'd or made illegal.now their are a Lot of folks still left who understand Mr.Jeff Coopers wisdom,that *the only weapon a man has is between his ears,Whatever is in his hand is only a tool*,we are becoming fewer and fewer out here.as far as Mr.Sprague,he is a beast with a slingshot,however I was able to make a slingshot [with TBG bands] that would put a 3/8 steel ball thru a piece of 1/4 in plywood hard on the shoulders and wrists tho.so they could be *weaponized* I was told that the reason SS are illegal in new York city is that gangs[during the 50's and 60's] used them to bushwhack the police in order to stel Their guns,i don't know if that is true but at close range with double banded TBG's 6 inch slack,that plywood didn't stand a chance.Dang! I just typed all that! well s#$t howdy! anyway I am glad you posted your concerns and I ,as one soul here,feel they are something to be watched .when SS are outlawed only Outlaws will have SS,lol.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You bring up some pretty good points. I hadn't realized the prohibition on blowguns in Canada, that's pretty insane.

Personally I think slingshots should be akin to archery. When somebody asks me, "Why slingshots?" I usually make that comparison myself. It's more accessible and affordable than archery but in many ways it's very similar. How cool would it be to have a local slingshot range where you can go plink for a couple hours? You could borrow a frame from brands like SimpleShot, Wasp, Pocket Predator, Dankung, and bring a friend along to show them why you enjoy it so much. That would be really cool. In that sense, a more public perspective on slingshots might be a good thing.

I personally don't agree with comparing slingshots to firearms and the like. I see why you did it in this video, but nobody is going on mass shooting sprees with bows, crossbows, air rifles, slingshots, or blowguns. I don't think we should spark up the gun control debate here, but there's a reason that guns are viewed in a different light than these other hobbies. Reminds me of an article from The Onion... "No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens"

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819576527

·
Registered
539 Posts
You bring up some pretty good points. I hadn't realized the prohibition on blowguns in Canada, that's pretty insane.

Personally I think slingshots should be akin to archery. When somebody asks me, "Why slingshots?" I usually make that comparison myself. It's more accessible and affordable than archery but in many ways it's very similar. How cool would it be to have a local slingshot range where you can go plink for a couple hours? You could borrow a frame from brands like SimpleShot, Wasp, Pocket Predator, Dankung, and bring a friend along to show them why you enjoy it so much. That would be really cool. In that sense, a more public perspective on slingshots might be a good thing.

I personally don't agree with comparing slingshots to firearms and the like. I see why you did it in this video, but nobody is going on mass shooting sprees with bows, crossbows, air rifles, slingshots, or blowguns. I don't think we should spark up the gun control debate here, but there's a reason that guns are viewed in a different light than these other hobbies. Reminds me of an article from The Onion... "No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens"

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819576527
I remember seeing that onion article when it came out, and thinking what a poor piece of propaganda it was indeed. One would need exceptional ignorance of international current events to not laugh off the title alone. Shootings can and regularly do occur all over the world. Where they don't, terrorism simply takes another form. This is the nature of the serpent.

This leads me nicely to why I consider firearm and slingshot regulation somewhat analogous. Laws regarding these weapons aren't written out of rationality by intelligent people carefully thinking and sensibly discussing issues. Regulation is driven, largely, by money and drama. Unlike firearms, there is no source of money or centralized interest to protect them. They will be regulated for the same reasons though: someone bad does something bad, and then the overwhelming majority of owners of that argument are punished for it. Firearms are used in the occasional terrorist shooting. Slingshots are used in the occasional act of uncivil disobedience. They're not analogous to bows in this way, because miscreants, protesters, etc don't tuck bows in their pockets or backpacks and sling paint laden arrows or rocks or (in extreme cases) molotov cocktails with them. Thus bows are seen as a civil hobby, comparatively speaking, while slingshots are demonized.

As far as the very vocal left-wing element of millennials go, they don't seem to have picked up irony/hypocrisy/the-greater-context. So I see it go both ways, where their groups like the ANTIFA are happy to use slingshots to sling rocks at Trump supporters and police, and call for revolution, while simultaneously calling for disarmament and the confiscation/banning of weapons. How all this is supposed to come together into a harmonious and coherent ideology I really have no idea.

The relative efficacy or enforcability of a law, I'm convinced, doesn't even enter into a legislator's mind. So banning something which, quite literally, grows on trees seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do in their minds. *shrug*

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I remember seeing that onion article when it came out, and thinking what a poor piece of propaganda it was indeed. One would need exceptional ignorance of international current events to not laugh off the title alone. Shootings can and regularly do occur all over the world. Where they don't, terrorism simply takes another form. This is the nature of the serpent.

This leads me nicely to why I consider firearm and slingshot regulation somewhat analogous. Laws regarding these weapons aren't written out of rationality by intelligent people carefully thinking and sensibly discussing issues. Regulation is driven, largely, by money and drama. Unlike firearms, there is no source of money or centralized interest to protect them. They will be regulated for the same reasons though: someone bad does something bad, and then the overwhelming majority of owners of that argument are punished for it. Firearms are used in the occasional terrorist shooting. Slingshots are used in the occasional act of uncivil disobedience. They're not analogous to bows in this way, because miscreants, protesters, etc don't tuck bows in their pockets or backpacks and sling paint laden arrows or rocks or (in extreme cases) molotov cocktails with them. Thus bows are seen as a civil hobby, comparatively speaking, while slingshots are demonized.

As far as the very vocal left-wing element of millennials go, they don't seem to have picked up irony/hypocrisy/the-greater-context. So I see it go both ways, where their groups like the ANTIFA are happy to use slingshots to sling rocks at Trump supporters and police, and call for revolution, while simultaneously calling for disarmament and the confiscation/banning of weapons. How all this is supposed to come together into a harmonious and coherent ideology I really have no idea.

The relative efficacy or enforcability of a law, I'm convinced, doesn't even enter into a legislator's mind. So banning something which, quite literally, grows on trees seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do in their minds. *shrug*
Man, that was poetry to read haha. I literally agree with everything you just said haha! Thank you very much for sharing your opinions, it is very refreshing to hear from a like-minded individual such as yourself! :)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thank you Dan, I appreciate your input and you taking the time to have a look! Yeah it is pretty ridiculous about blowguns here in Canada, to be perfectly honest I made a really simple one as a kid from some plastic conduit. I was having quite a bit of fun with it, until my father saw me with it one afternoon. He wasn't mad at me, but he was very upset that he had to come tell me that I couldn't do that in the yard. It went from instruction on what the laws were, to being upset about what the laws where in about three sentences for him. He explained to me that my grandfather used to live in California, and he made and shot blowguns for Hobby and hunting. He said how much fun they used to have together and that it was a shame that we weren't able to do the same. But he said also that was the nature of the silly laws in this country. He basically finished up by saying that we abide by those laws so that when we dial 911, they actually come. He said some laws are stupid, and they make no sense, but that's the give-and-take of having civilized society. To this day I totally understand where he was coming from, but it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to even say.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My YouTube doesn't work so good down here, can you post some bullet points?
I'm interested in what you have to say, it's just not practical for me to watch a long video.
Sure MJ, no worries! Pretty much was just saying that I'm worried that when slingshot become more apart of the public forum they may fall into the wrong hands. This is why I don't want slingshot getting too big or well-known for lack of a better explanation. I explain that I see the need and understand and even want to participate in organizations for slingshot shooting. But that as soon as the power that is in modern elastic is known to the masses we may have a problem on our hands. Also I mention how most of the reason that kids know these items airguns and slingshots is due to big box stores like Walmart trying to make a quick buck on the latest craze. They have little or no consideration for the problems that they are causing until after the damage is done. I wrap up by saying that I hope slingshot stay out of the Limelight for the most part, and keep to small tournaments and organizations. I feel that the moment they're legitimised into an effective hunting implement, we could all face changing laws and regulations. This is the worst case scenario, and I hope it never comes to that, just throwing out I thought I had and wondering what you guys thought of the matter. :)

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
532 Posts
You certainly raise some valid points. However, our society pretty much lives and thrives on fear. Fear is a great motivator. This is not likely to change...being afraid, strangely, makes many feel safe.

The legitimization of slingshots as a marksmanship discipline is our only hope. Hence the recent creation of the American Slingshot Association in the USA and several other slingshot associations/federations around the world. Marksmanship is a uniquely human endeavor and a quick look at the summer Olympic Games shows us that we appreciate and respect shooting sports in the name of marksmanship.

It is marksmanship and the responsible growth of the slingshot discipline that will be the only saving grace for our beloved forked sticks and rubber bands. The liberal fear mongering and right wing extremism is not going away. Responsible adults practicing disciplined marksmanship is our path forward and our only real and viable means to assure that shooting a slingshot stays in the good graces of the public eye.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You certainly raise some valid points. However, our society pretty much lives and thrives on fear. Fear is a great motivator. This is not likely to change...being afraid, strangely, makes many feel safe.

The legitimization of slingshots as a marksmanship discipline is our only hope. Hence the recent creation of the American Slingshot Association in the USA and several other slingshot associations/federations around the world. Marksmanship is a uniquely human endeavor and a quick look at the summer Olympic Games shows us that we appreciate and respect shooting sports in the name of marksmanship.

It is marksmanship and the responsible growth of the slingshot discipline that will be the only saving grace for our beloved forked sticks and rubber bands. The liberal fear mongering and right wing extremism is not going away. Responsible adults practicing disciplined marksmanship is our path forward and our only real and viable means to assure that shooting a slingshot stays in the good graces of the public eye.
So happy and humbled to have you as part of the discussion! I believe you're right about the social climate being geared to fear. As I said I don't want anyone to think that I don't support groups trying to legitimize the sport, my only fear is that promotion of it could lead to our sport being more readily regulated. I suppose it's only out of concern for the future of a hobby that's done so much for me that I voiced these opinions. With any luck the path being sought by groups in America and abroad will only bolster support for our growing sport!

Thanks again for chiming in! :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
You can be certain that SimpleShot has a vested interest in only the best for our sport. The families of our awesome employees and all of our amazing customers don't want to see slingshots regulated out of existence. We have to gather around the highest and best part of our sport...and the pursuit of marksmanship excellence is the calling!

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
I personally don't agree with comparing slingshots to firearms and the like. I see why you did it in this video, but nobody is going on mass shooting sprees with bows, crossbows, air rifles, slingshots, or blowguns. I don't think we should spark up the gun control debate here, but there's a reason that guns are viewed in a different light than these other hobbies. Reminds me of an article from The Onion... "No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens"https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819576527
Man, that was poetry to read haha. I literally agree with everything you just said haha! Thank you very much for sharing your opinions, it is very refreshing to hear from a like-minded individual such as yourself! :)

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Hey BushpotChef... I will think and reply on this thread later.

I apologize for busting in... but please check your pm and see if it has some room for a message. That is all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The you tube video is totally accurate in my opinion! Amerika too is now being plagued by insane politicians who have infringed upon human rights. I agree with you so much that I think the video should be removed from U toob so as to minimise exposure of our loved hobby to the general public. Blow guns are also prohibited in Kalifornistan. Because of the increasingly Nazi-like tyranny in the dis-united states of Amerika, I am now going to relinquish my citizenship there and retreat to the jungle from whence I came. There, the blow gun and bows still reign supreme.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
We should probably stop talking about it!!! I bet they're watching this conversation right now!!! They've probably been monitoring sales of theraband and #64 rubber bands for years!!!! Everybody hoard forks and run for the hills!!!
THEY'RE COMIN' FER YER SLINGSHOTS!!!!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The you tube video is totally accurate in my opinion! Amerika too is now being plagued by insane politicians who have infringed upon human rights. I agree with you so much that I think the video should be removed from U toob so as to minimise exposure of our loved hobby to the general public. Blow guns are also prohibited in Kalifornistan. Because of the increasingly Nazi-like tyranny in the dis-united states of Amerika, I am now going to relinquish my citizenship there and retreat to the jungle from whence I came. There, the blow gun and bows still reign supreme.
Hold on now I don't want Society retreating to the woods to eat with our hands! LOL

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We should probably stop talking about it!!! I bet they're watching this conversation right now!!! They've probably been monitoring sales of theraband and #64 rubber bands for years!!!! Everybody hoard forks and run for the hills!!!
THEY'RE COMIN' FER YER SLINGSHOTS!!!!
You better believe it's coming MJ! The zombies, the killer clowns, and now the great slingshot grab of 2018! THE END IS NIGH!

Reactions: M.J and schpier
1 - 20 of 22 Posts