Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I wonder if others have the same kind of struggles to find the right design for them to be able to shoot with perfect comfort. So, I thought I would show a few pictures of some designs I have made, some good...some less good.

Attachments

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Dang, Smitty, over the past few months it seems every "new" idea I have for a slingshot -- you've already done it. That's why I always check out your stuff before I proceed with an idea. You've made my life a little easier by giving something to build off of.

This one is something I have had rolling around in the back of my head for a while

I want to make a similar pattern, then cut the core out of an old circular saw blade, and laminate some wood to it.

Can you tell me how you think this design worked out for you, and what -- if anything -- you'd do to improve upon it?

Regards, Bill

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Personally I think the struggle is less to do about "The perfect fit " and more to do about being your own person and having your own design. If you really are determined to shoot , a person will learn to shoot a particuliar frame and focus on accuracy( unless the fit is really, really bad ) Most of us here have a need to " Create Things" and I think that is what drives to the struggle to find that perfect fit ! And to be honest I think that is a good thing !!

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The handle was made long to allow me to insert a mini mag flashlight in the hole for night shooting. The finger tabs were too low on the fork. The fork height was too high, thus lots of wrist torque with the Trumark black tuff tubes. I really believe my latest designs are pretty close to what I need, but you never know until you've shot them a while. Here are my latest patterns:

Attachments

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally I think the struggle is less to do about "The perfect fit " and more to do about being your own person and having your own design. If you really are determined to shoot , a person will learn to shoot a particuliar frame and focus on accuracy( unless the fit is really, really bad ) Most of us here have a need to " Create Things" and I think that is what drives to the struggle to find that perfect fit ! And to be honest I think that is a good thing !!
The thing that I have to fight with is my left hand, the one I hold the slingshot with, is damaged and doesn't work like my right hand. My index finger has no strength from nerve damage and my thumb loses its ability to push the further I go towards the thumb tip. It has gotten much stronger over the years after the injury, but still I must deal with it.
This steers me naturally toward a hammer type grip, but that ain't the way I want to shoot, so I keep playing around with comfort fitted designs. The most comfortable grips are low on the fork, but this causes uncomfortable wrist torque. That is when you start trying to keep the fork height low, without designing a hand crushing fork hitting monster.l

·
2,153 Posts
Here are three finished slingshots from my newest patterns. The smallest on the left is made from solid oak with dowels inserted from handle through fork to help with strength in case of a fork hit. The middle and right ones are made from plywood to get away from using crackable solid wood. I really had a time getting the finish decent on the plywood., but I think I learned a lot in the process. I think future slingshots will be finished better. I traded for a few slingshots from Baumstamm and he had a black one made from plywood that I just love, so I wanted to try making some in the same color. The two on the right also have band sets that Baumstamm put together for me to try.

DSCN0666.JPG

Oh, by the way, I call them my "Ninja" slingshots.

I think the influence of other slingshot designers show in their design too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I had no idea you had an injured hand, I musta missed dat, That makes the right fit ever so golden when you find it !I have been playing a bit with red oak board cuts....super tough wood and I laminated a small mohagonany pannel on the front and rear of the grip.... This seemed to fill my hand better and a better fill/fit seems to lessen the power needed to grip/hold on to the fork when shooting.
-Scott

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Nice shooters. Baumstamm really likes his pouches small, doesn't he?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts