Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone, I had an idea about us raising money for the Haiti disaster. What do you think about an online auction of a slingshot or two? I have run it past Aaron and he has kindly given it the go-ahead. Can I ask, would anyone consider donating a sling? Aaron has suggested putting whatever we get offered on Ebay, but, due to personal reasons, I could not personally handle that side of things, so we will need someone who can step up to the plate,if we go down that route! However, I would be happy to handle an auction on this forum, for which I have been given Aaron's permission. The more of you guys who can donate,the better. Also, if you would like to give any thoughts as to how the auction should be run, feel free to chip in, with stuff like setting a deadline, etc.!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I will donate my avatar slingshot.
Cool, smitty!!!

And nice thought, julesj!!!

But, if setting up and running an auction is intimidating, or gets too complicated, fiddly, or time-consuming -- maybe just selling $5 entry "donations" for one of those incredibly nifty forum-store T-shirts in winner's choice of size/color?!?

Just trying to think ahead:
*An Owner or Moderator could be the fund receiver...
*Any PayPal or transaction fees should be deducted...
*Next, the SlingshotForum.com store reimbursed for the merchandise item...
*Finally, remaining proceeds transmitted to the selected charity earmarked to Haiti relief effort from our SlingshotForum.com gang...

I guess it's pretty much a crapshoot as to whether an auction that would net one humongous donation from one lucky winner would net more for charity than lots of little nickle-dime donations?! Just ideas to kick around.

Anyway, I've thought too much. My brain is cloudy...

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I will open up my vaults and donate one of my very last "V" slingshots, in fact THE last one that is brand new and has never been shot. I guess the "V" may fetch a higher price than my hand made slingshots, as they are collector's items that are out of production. Only 50 "V"s exist, most are in the hands of people that are unlikely to sell.

I will equip it with the buyer's choice of tubular bands, and it will come with two reserve band sets.

Jörg

PS: I never sold anything on ebay, I guess that job has to be done by someone else!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Sportology Publications will donate two copies of the book “SLINGSHOT SHOOTING”. And for good measure they will also donate one copy of the book “THE SCIENCE OF POCKET BILLIARDS”. I hope someone posts instructions on how to execute the donation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow!!!
Many thanks to Jorg,Smitty,Fish, Slingshots USA and Sporting Publications, for your kindness.

I have been doing some research in to using an Ebay Auction Broker, or an Ebay Trading Assistant, to host the auction for us, at a cost in $% terms, of course, and I have posted a link for you to peruse and give feedback, as to your thoughts: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/tradingassistants/hire-trading-assistant.html

I also looked in to fundraising and charitable giving, through Ebay and Missionfish, found here: http://www.missionfish.org/ The latter can handle getting the funds to an appropriate charity, again at a cost in $% terms. In addition, I found a listing for Haitie Earthquake Appeal Worldwide, which can be found at http://www.concern.net Again, it would be great to get your feedback on this, please.

I would be prepared to accept delivery of your donations and put them in to storage, until those who have given so generously are happy with the arrangements for the auction, and we are in a position to proceed in the quest to make the lives of a few more of the people suffering so badly, a little more bearable.

Fish asked if the auction would be on Ebay, EU or USA, and the simple answer is, at this stage, I don't know. Do any of you have any views on this, or, to put it another way, is there anyone who is experienced in the ways of Ebay, and is confident enough to take on this task? I simply had the idea that we should help, and I do not consider myself in charge. I feel that it is down to those of you who have given, to decide how we should move things on.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I would like it all to be handled through the forum by Aaron or a person whom he feels is better qualified to be able to put the money in the right hands for Haitian relief. I have no idea how to do it myself, but it is a shame for a percentage of the money to go into someone elses' hands. I mean, like it or not Aaron, you are the founder and leader of this forum. We need you to help us do this thing right so that the most money possible ends up helping those people and not going into someones' pocket. Maybe going through the red cross would be the best way.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Let me mull it over. I don't think that I am the right person to handle it due to my personal schedule over the next month or so, but I will think on who it should be and reach out to them.

Since there are so many offerings of goods, it seems like a good idea to hold multiple auctions for the different options. I doubt too many people would have the funds to give an appropriate amount for all the items in one lump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts