Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here, is one i just finished for my dad for his birthday. i'm not sure what the wood is, it was deadfall that was pretty weathered, but still very strong. the bands are 5/8" gum rubber and the wrist strap is para cord in a portuguese sennit. there is no stain, don't need it on a natural with this much going on in the wood, and finished with 4 coats of hand rubbed poly. Enjoy, hopefully my dad will.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Another spalted natural beauty from the Gopher ash fork farm! (wait this isn't ash! what happened?)

A while back I fell in love with that ash natural of yours that had been beautified by the wonders of mother nature. This one is no different. It doesn't have quite as much character, yet I have a feeling it is a perfect fit for your dad. He will be delighted by it's humble beauty that doesn't shout out at you, but merely whispers confidently to be shot...

Great job on the fork, bands, and lanyard your father will be one happy, and occupied guy!

As to that gum rubber, I see you use it quite a bit, how is the speed on it? Longevity as well? .....I don't need exact stats if you don't have them just your observations and estimates, don't want to hijack but anyone else can answer that as well, I have the opportunity to acquire a 12" x 12" sheet of the 1/16" gum rubber for around $4.00, so I'm curious...

Thanks for sharing, make sure you update us with all of your projects!

Regards - John

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Beautifull fork, I'm sure he'll love it.

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Thats a real beauty and looks like it would be great to take on walks.

Bane the gum rubber makes a good band set. I have a set I got from Flatband last year that I'm still shooting. It has to have some wear in the ball park of 2000 shots on it but is showing sines of wear now. the gum rubber preforms similar to the 105's and 107's IMO.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Gopher, that's a charming slingshot. Real nice gift for your dad. I'm sure he'll treasure it -- I know I would.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the compliments guys. the gum rubber seems fast to me but i don't have stats on it. but as for longevity...a looooooong time.

i got a 12 by 24 sheet for 6 bucks

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Thanks for the input on the gum rubber DM and Gopher, I'll put it on the list to try in the spring....as long as it lasts long and shoots marbles with some speed it is fine with me! I have plenty of heavy bandsets for heavy ammo and hunting. I just want things that last very long and are still cheap with satisfying speed.

This is where you get yours right Gopher?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Rubber-Sheet-1XWD5?Pid=search

There is cheaper than McMaster Carr (about 2 dollars) which is usually the cheapest place around...so that is very good, although McMaster has other things I'd like to order

http://www.mcmaster.com/#gum-rubber/=atngig

2000 shots is great, thanks
- John

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i got mine from grainger but i am goign to try mcmaster next, just to see the difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beautiful natural Gopher. I'm sure your Dad will love it.
I too use 1/16" gum rubber(from Rubber sheet and roll.com). Much faster than any tubes I've used. Lasts forever as well.
I don't see much use of the old two slot Whamo attachment method here. Don't know why that is. It's simple, elegant and no hand slap.
Perhaps this has been covered before, but I'm new here so please forgive me if this is old news.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Well crafted natural, Dad will be happy, I know I would.
Philly

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
What a wonderful present.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.