Slingshots Forum banner
61 - 80 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
This has taken me a long time to mention, but, when I was growing up :what: as if that'll ever happen, we always had a "Gadda" in our pocket.

So Flatbands, if you could add that to the slingshot name list, it would be complete to me :rofl: :naughty: .

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Oh yes that can happen, my every day catty (EDC) forkarms i sanded both several times,

RTS can happen with the fork, if rubber or leather get tangled up or from the target and catchbox,

but so long they not land in the face is all okay :)

·
Super Moderator
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
New slang entered-thanks guys!

Reactions: studer1972

·
Registered
30 Posts
Recently there seems to have been some confusion on the part of some folks about the meaning of the terms "Over The Top" or OTT, "Through The Forks" or TTF, and "Outside The Forks" or OTF. Flatband did not actually mention OTF. However, he very clearly characterised OTT and TTF as refering to the path of the BANDS on a slingshot. Used in this way, the terminology tells us something very definite and objective about the construction of the slingshot; so this useage should be preserved. As an aid, I have taken a couple of illustrative photos. In these photos I have used Gypsy tabs, but only because it made it easy to make quick changes of orientation for the purposes of the photos.

First, here is a photo of an OTT arrangement:

OverTheTop.jpg

And here is a photo of a TTF arrangement:

ThoughTheForks.jpg

As is readily seen in this photo, this arrangement is appropriate only for forks with wide separation, or else the bands will foul the shot. I would never use it on the frame in the photo, and show it here only as an illustration.

Another phrase often used is "Outside The Forks", or OTF. Again, using this phrase to refer to the arrangement of the bands, here is a photo to illustrate:

OutsideTheForks.jpg

There is another arrangement that seems not to have a firm phraseology. For some slingshots, the bands are attached to the same side of the forks as the direction of pull. I propose to use the phrase "Bands Same Side", or BSS for this arrangement. Here is an illustrative photo:

BandsSameSide.jpg

Now, I certainly cannot dictate linguistic useage for everyone. But failure to maintain consistency of meaning will only result in confusion and inhibit communication. You could use the term "steer" to refer to the beast that most folks call a "cow". But if you do so, and tell your friends you were out milking your steer, you will get some mighty strange looks, if not worse!!!

Cheers ....... Charles
Really helpful.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Recently there seems to have been some confusion on the part of some folks about the meaning of the terms "Over The Top" or OTT, "Through The Forks" or TTF, and "Outside The Forks" or OTF. Flatband did not actually mention OTF. However, he very clearly characterised OTT and TTF as refering to the path of the BANDS on a slingshot. Used in this way, the terminology tells us something very definite and objective about the construction of the slingshot; so this useage should be preserved. As an aid, I have taken a couple of illustrative photos. In these photos I have used Gypsy tabs, but only because it made it easy to make quick changes of orientation for the purposes of the photos.

First, here is a photo of an OTT arrangement:

OverTheTop.jpg

And here is a photo of a TTF arrangement:

ThoughTheForks.jpg

As is readily seen in this photo, this arrangement is appropriate only for forks with wide separation, or else the bands will foul the shot. I would never use it on the frame in the photo, and show it here only as an illustration.

Another phrase often used is "Outside The Forks", or OTF. Again, using this phrase to refer to the arrangement of the bands, here is a photo to illustrate:

OutsideTheForks.jpg

There is another arrangement that seems not to have a firm phraseology. For some slingshots, the bands are attached to the same side of the forks as the direction of pull. I propose to use the phrase "Bands Same Side", or BSS for this arrangement. Here is an illustrative photo:

BandsSameSide.jpg

Now, I certainly cannot dictate linguistic useage for everyone. But failure to maintain consistency of meaning will only result in confusion and inhibit communication. You could use the term "steer" to refer to the beast that most folks call a "cow". But if you do so, and tell your friends you were out milking your steer, you will get some mighty strange looks, if not worse!!!

Cheers ....... Charles
Really helpful.
The two I am STILL having a bit of a bother with is: TTF, Through The Fork and OTF, Outside The Forks....

So it ALWAYS is refering to THE BANDS at the Slingshot????? [Not how the ammo travels...?]

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I have nothing but respect for Charles, he's done a tremendous amount of good for the slingshot community, but for some reason he has this bee up his bonnet about TTF and unfortunately I believe he's wrong.

It's quite simple OTT (over the top ) means exactly that....the pouch, the ammo and the bands all go over the top of the forks. There is no other option.

The problem arises with TTF (through the fork )

TTF means that the pouch and the ammo go through the fork, but after that there are options concerning how the bands are attached.

Look at this way. Two catty nuts are talking ..first nutter says he prefers to shoot OTT

and you say "OTT is okay but I prefer TTF (through the fork ) especially when I tie the bands on OTF (outside the fork ) but sometimes I'll tie them

ISF (inside the fork) and on my old Milbro I tie them FOF (front of fork)."

Other then a couple of the acronyms being my suggestions for the band positions, hopefully you get the idea.

·
Super Moderator
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
What does SWO mean in front of PFS ? I know that PFS stands for Picked Fork Slingshot, but for the life of me I can't figure out what SWO means ?

Thanks,

wll
Hi wll,

I don't have that"SWO"in front of PFS on my glossary? What is it?

61 - 80 of 140 Posts